PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Play video files through a Webcam simulator? (Justin.tv related)

Major_Rager
August 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
H there. First time poster. Ubuntu user of 3 years now (currently on Intrepid Ibex).

I am a big big fan of Justin.tv . I am very interested in broadcasting my own channel of my own home made short films and skits.

Thing is, I have NO idea how to do this with Ubuntu. I am told to use Justin.tv's "SeeToo" program, but it will not work for Mac OS or any Linux distro's.

I was told to use a Webcam simulator, which tricks the computer into thinking that the video (avi, mpeg, and the like) in which this simulator is playing is actually a physical webcam. But the only available simulator programs are for Windows, and Wine isn't taking too kindly to them and all 15 programs I have tried simply do not work.:confused:

Hopefully someone has the answer. But take it easy on me fellas... I'm a n00b!:(

HappyFeet
August 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I too am a fan of justin.tv and if you go to the Broadcast button in the upper right, just go through all the windows until it tells you "no webcam found". Underneath that you will see: "Alternatively, you can create a video playlist on your channel." Then just follow the prompts to upload your youtube videos. (yes, they must be on youtube first) Hope this helps.

Major_Rager
August 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I too am a fan of justin.tv and if you go to the Broadcast button in the upper right, just go through all the windows until it tells you "no webcam found". Underneath that you will see: "Alternatively, you can create a video playlist on your channel." Then just follow the prompts to upload your youtube videos. (yes, they must be on youtube first) Hope this helps.

Thanks! Though, youtube sucks in terms of quality. I wish SeeToo would work for Linux!