PDA

View Full Version : What do we call a Linux PC?

tom66
August 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
A PC means "Personal Computer". But according to Microsoft/Apple's advertising, it appears 'PC' refers to a computer running Windows. And after those ads, I don't think it will change.

A Mac refers to a computer running Mac OS X usually on authorised hardware.

What do we call Linux or Ubuntu? A Linux PC? An Ubuntu PC?

Cheesemill
August 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
A PC is a Personal Computer, it doesn't matter what OS you are running.

cascade9
August 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'll still call it a PC a PC. A personal computer. Apple makes PCs as well LOL. Theres no need to go along with advertising double-think IMO.

Ozor Mox
August 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'll still call it a PC a PC. A personal computer. Apple makes PCs as well LOL. Theres no need to go along with advertising double-think IMO.

Agreed. Whatever marketing nonsense Microsoft or Apple come out with, a PC is still a personal computer and applies to any computer, regardless of operating system.

tom66
August 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm just wondering because I hear ads referring to "works on your PC or Mac", if they add Linux support, do they say, "works on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac"? It's a bit long and might discourage advertising of Linux compatibility.

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Those ads drive me nuts. Mac machines are PCs, windows machines are PCs, and Linux machines are PCs! I can't stress that enough! I sometimes do some tech support, and I first ask the issue and ask what operating system they use, If I hear they are using a PC, I will ask them to clarify again, Is it a windows, mac, linux, or other.

PartsMan
August 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Just marketing.

Remember when it was Apple or IBM compatible?

They don't advertise that way anymore.

I think of mine as a fully cured Windows survivor.

Barrucadu
August 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
A PC. Advertising terminology has little to do with correct terminology.

geekygirl
August 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
What do we call a Linux PC?

Anything you want, just don't call it late for dinner....

Skripka
August 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Linux Box.

Bachstelze
August 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
And how do you call a Linux Mac?

martin saint martin
August 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've call my Thinkpad running Ubuntu a Linpad. A more general term could be Linbox or how bought Lintop?

TheNosh
August 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM

ironic that you would use a phrase from 1984 to describe how apple advertises. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

also if i'm not mistaken the term "PC" was coined by Steve Wozniak to describe the Apple II

pmlxuser
August 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I think a PC running linux is called "The Machine"...... ;) coz its better than A MAC and beautiful that PC runing windows.

so the advert goes like it works on your PC, MAC and "The Machine"

TheNosh
August 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Oh and to answer the OP's question, Mine is named Odin, and my two flash drives are named Hugin and Munin.

whoever can explain the reference wins an internet ;)

JillSwift
August 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Personally, I call a PS running Linux "fun". ;)

whitefort
August 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Liberated? :)

Bölvaður
August 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh and to answer the OP's question, Mine is named Odin, and my two flash drives are named Hugin and Munin.

That is the most brilliant thing I have heard today.
Btw you are using a perversion of the correct names, Óðinn, Huginn and Muninn.

I guess the computer that will hack into your's will be Fenris?

Cheesemill
August 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Hugin and Mugin are Odin's (the Norse god) ravens.

Do I win?

BTW - I didn't google this, I already knew the answer!!

dumblebee100
August 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
A PC means "Personal Computer". But according to Microsoft/Apple's advertising, it appears 'PC' refers to a computer running Windows. And after those ads, I don't think it will change.

A Mac refers to a computer running Mac OS X usually on authorised hardware.

as far as I know a linux machine can be called a WORKSTATION

bcz when I read some books about some networking and hacking then told me to get ready with a workstation ....and then they explained what it contains .like a *nix flavour and ethernet card connected and basic knowledge of commands ...

from that things we can conclude that we can call our linux machines as workstations ....and I also heard this term often in business related things not much in desktop arena

hoppipolla
August 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I think a PC running linux is called "The Machine"...... ;) coz its better than A MAC and beautiful that PC runing windows.

so the advert goes like it works on your PC, MAC and "The Machine"

Inspired O.O lol

But yeah I reckon there is something to be said for choosing a new term for a Linux machine... it could work well for advertising :)

RiceMonster

a Linutosh

Nah, I don't actually call it that.

hoppipolla
a Linutosh

Nah, I don't actually call it that.

We should though. lol

geekygirl
August 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
You could also call it a Linpple

but somehow that sounds wrong... :-s

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You could also call it a Linpple

but somehow that sounds wrong... :-sBut "Dead Sexy"...

hanzomon4
August 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
The saner option for a life without walls (really, windows fit inside of walls... wtf?!?!)

RabbitWho
August 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Let's call them penguins. My new penguin is in the post. We can still call them PC except it stand for Penguin Computer.

I still don't understand the difference between "to compute" and "to count" and in a lot of languages there is no distinction so computers are just called counters.. so we could actually call it a Penguin Counter.

Congratulations Dell Customer #12345678 your new Penguin Counter has been Dispatched.

mcduck
August 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less what Microsoft and Apple call computers running their operating systems in their advertisements.

I call personal computers "personal computers" regardless of the operating system they run. :)

I think I could come up with some other descriptive names for computers running Windows but I prefer not getting banned from these forums.. ;)

mrgnash
August 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Exactly. Don't let a bunch of dim-witted ads define our vocabulary for us.

Viva
August 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Let's call them penguins. My new penguin is in the post. We can still call them PC except it stand for Penguin Computer.

I still don't understand the difference between "to compute" and "to count" and in a lot of languages there is no distinction so computers are just called counters.. so we could actually call it a Penguin Counter.

Congratulations Dell Customer #12345678 your new Penguin Counter has been Dispatched.

I like the term penguin computer

juancarlospaco
August 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I installed Linux on a Cisco 2500 Router, thats a Linux PC now???
a Ciscux? a Linsco?
:)

Ozor Mox
August 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Haha, I love it! It could work, although people might think that Dell are attempting to enter the market of selling computers to penguins... I don't think it would prove very successful :D

RabbitWho
August 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Haha, I love it! It could work, although people might think that Dell are attempting to enter the market of selling computers to penguins... I don't think it would prove very successful :D

I dunno, I reckon there's a gap in the market.

:O:O:O look what Google showed me: http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/42009
It already exists!

fr34k_0/\/_4_1345l-l
August 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
an underachiever with great potential?

Stan_1936
August 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
It's called a PC running Linux.

An apple is a fruit. Always has been, always will be.

When someone says Mac by Apple, I first think of a Big Mac(from McDonald's) sitting on a table.....next to an apple(fruit).

fr34k_0/\/_4_1345l-l
August 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
It's called a PC running Linux.

An apple is a fruit. Always has been, always will be.

When someone says Mac by Apple, I first think of a Big Mac(from McDonald's) sitting on a table.....next to an apple(fruit).

does that big mac cost 40$?

Ozor Mox
August 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Only if the bun has a shiny, glowing McDonalds logo on it.

cascade9
August 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Muninn makes sense, 'memory', but Huginn? thats 'thought', and flash drives dont have much in the way of processing power LOL

Stan_1936
August 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM

I don't know. I haven't been to McDonald's since 1998.

fr34k_0/\/_4_1345l-l
August 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Only if the bun has a shiny, glowing McDonalds logo on it.

does ronald mcjobs kiss every mac bigmac before it leaves the place?

Stan_1936
August 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM

That could be true for just about any restaurant/fastfood joint. There's no way of knowing unless you stand there and watch them make it.

red_Marvin
August 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
dator/computer (depending on language) or maybe laptop -because that is what it is.
What is a personal computer? ...The opposite of public computers?
I like the suggestion "workstation" though. WS? WKST? WKSN?

Ozor Mox
August 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM

And he holds a press conference where he tells everyone that Big Mac 3.0 contains radical and innovative new features such as sesame seeds on the buns, and the option to have lettuce, tomato or both.

:popcorn:

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
And he holds a press conference where he tells everyone that Big Mac 3.0 contains radical and innovative new features such as sesame seeds on the buns, and the option to have lettuce, tomato or both.

:popcorn:Don't forget you are not allowed to add anything 'unauthorized' to the burger either...

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM

"Here Linux Mac, heeeeeere Linux Mac!"

skyemark
August 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM
PC is fine by me. Why let Microsoft try to turn a generic term into a brand-name? Even if it were a brand name, that's never stopped us before - Do you know anyone who actually uses the word 'vacuum cleaner'? Don't we all say 'Hoover'?
And it took me thirty years to realise "sticky-back plastic" from childhood memories of watching Blue Peter wasn't some mysterious substance, but plain old Sellotape in BBC-speak.

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Muninn makes sense, 'memory', but Huginn? thats 'thought', and flash drives dont have much in the way of processing power LOL

/facepalm

Huginn and Muninn are Odin's ravens that he used to watch the world with.

lukeiamyourfather
August 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM

We call it awesome.

mcduck
August 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
dator/computer (depending on language) or maybe laptop -because that is what it is.
What is a personal computer? ...The opposite of public computers?
I like the suggestion "workstation" though. WS? WKST? WKSN?

it's the opposite of a central computer ("mainframe").

I actually prefer term "microcomputer", since I know that actual computers are too big to fit into my fairly small apartment. Perhaps I could fit a minicomputer here if I threw away of all the furniture.. :D

mcduck
August 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
/facepalm

/facepalm yourself. They are names of the ravens, and have the meanings cascade9 wrote.. ;)

ibuclaw
August 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I call it an MC ... stands for MY Computer, as it is mine and no one elses. :)

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
/facepalm yourself. They are names of the ravens, and have the meanings cascade9 wrote.. ;)

/facepalm you!

I know the meanings :lolflag:

geogur
August 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
a PC :P

Warpnow
August 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Still a Personal Computer.

A Mac isn't a personal computer thought as you have no options to personalize the hardware, in my opinion. Its a computing device, gadget, or environment. Its a "Mac", and its meant to stay the way it was sold. Its not your computer, its a Mac.

Mark76
August 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Linux microcomputer isn't a bad idea.

Especially when you think about net/smartbooks

hellmet
August 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
A LinC (Linux Computer) ? How lame is that!?

TheNosh
August 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM
That is the most brilliant thing I have heard today.
Btw you are using a perversion of the correct names, Óðinn, Huginn and Muninn.

I guess the computer that will hack into your's will be Fenris?

Hugin and Mugin are Odin's (the Norse god) ravens.

Do I win?

BTW - I didn't google this, I already knew the answer!!

it seems we have two winners. glad to see some people know their Norse mythology.

and a half-winner i suppose, it wasn't about the meaning of their names, it's because the ravens go out into the world to bring information back to Odin. the flash drives go to other computers and bring information back to my computer (Odin)

/facepalm

yes

MikeTheC
August 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Can anyone recommend a good Norwegian beer? I can't say as how I'm familiar with any.

jrothwell97
August 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
A Mac isn't a personal computer thought as you have no options to personalize the hardware, in my opinion. Its a computing device, gadget, or environment. Its a "Mac", and its meant to stay the way it was sold. Its not your computer, its a Mac.

Um... yes it is. It is a computer, and it belongs to you, and therefore you can do whatever you damn well like with it. You can still tear the case open and replace the hard drive with a stuffed rabbit - there's nothing stopping you, apart from the fact the design makes it more difficult.

Like it or not, a PC is a PC. And so is a Mac.

cascade9
August 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
and a half-winner i suppose, it wasn't about the meaning of their names, it's because the ravens go out into the world to bring information back to Odin. the flash drives go to other computers and bring information back to my computer (Odin)

Geri and Freki? 'ravenous' and 'greedy' :D

Bachstelze
August 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Can anyone recommend a good Norwegian beer? I can't say as how I'm familiar with any.

ITT: finally something worth discussing.

haemulon
August 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I agree that MS doesn't own the term PC.

Sometimes I copy files from the Windows computer to the Linux computer, regardless of which one I'm using it's the PC.

But I use the plain term "computer" more often than "PC" I think.

I mean when I grab the calculator, I don't call it a PC (Personal Calculator) it's just a calculator.

Exodist
August 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone here ever watched "American Psycho" staring Christian Bale? Remember how it gets a twitchy over business cards. I get that way every time someone calls a PC a "CPU" /counts down from 10..9.. 8.......

OK PC are all copmuters based on x86 CPUs. That being said even a Mac is now a PC since they switched to Intel CPUs (DUM DUM DA DUM) when their contract with IBM to make Power PC CPUs expired. Only reason they were able to call them Macs then was because they where the only ones to use those CPUs and normal IBM compatible PC software could not run on them. So today Apple is just in denial and still think there systems are Macs..

As far as your Linux PC, common terms are Linux Box and Linux System. Also if you have multiple Linux boxes you can call them by the distros on them or their purpose. Example would be Ubuntu Box/System or a Server Box/System. But in reality you can call your PC "Fred" if you like.

Windows is just windows, I want go there.. /counts down from 10... 9.. 8.....

One big pet pea of mine is Keyboards!! Why must every keyboard have this STUPID win logo key.. Why cant I just get a KB with super on it or even a smiley :) ? They are all Win Keyboard or Mac Keyboards.. Why cant I just get a "KEYBOARD"???

/cry

Bachstelze
August 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
OK PC are all copmuters based on x86 CPUs. That being said even a Mac is now a PC since they switched to Intel CPUs (DUM DUM DA DUM) when their contract with IBM to make Power PC CPUs expired. Only reason they were able to call them Macs then was because they where the only ones to use those CPUs and normal IBM compatible PC software could not run on them. So today Apple is just in denial and still think there systems are Macs..

A computer is much more than just a CPU. Macs still have lots of specificities that make them easily distinguishable from other computers (the fact that they are using EFI instead of BIOS, for example).

Tristam Green
August 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Anyone here ever watched "American Psycho" staring Christian Bale? Remember how it gets a twitchy over business cards. I get that way every time someone calls a PC a "CPU" /counts down from 10..9.. 8.......

As far as your Linux PC, common terms are Linux Box and Linux System. Also if you have multiple Linux boxes you can call them by the distros on them or their purpose. Example would be Ubuntu Box/System or a Server Box/System. But in reality you can call your PC "Fred" if you like.

Windows is just windows, I want go there.. /counts down from 10... 9.. 8.....

One big pet pea of mine is Keyboards!! Why must every keyboard have this STUPID win logo key.. Why cant I just get a KB with super on it or even a smiley :) ? They are all Win Keyboard or Mac Keyboards.. Why cant I just get a "KEYBOARD"???

/cry

If you start putting axes through Jared Leto's head to the tune of "Hip to be Square", we'll be having some problems :(

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
cant remember where i found this .gif, it opens in another tab in FF

cascade9
August 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
A computer is much more than just a CPU. Macs still have lots of specificities that make them easily distinguishable from other computers (the fact that they are using EFI instead of BIOS, for example).

Umm...Intel Itanuim/Itanium2 all use EFI, its hardly mac-only. Yeah, there are differences between Macs and 'standard' x086 machines, but thats more about apple wanting to retain as much hardware control as possible than anything else IMO.