PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] is it possible: minimum install over wireless

keratos
August 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Seeking to load a minimal install of ubuntu.

Welcome responses to the following, please:

1. Searching the threads it appears that at boot time if I select "custom" as the kernel, then I get dropped to a command line with base system.
Is this correct?

2. It is not practical for me to connect via wired LAN. I do have a wifi connection that works perfectly when running ubuntu liveCD in normal mode and when dual booting to *******. I'd like to build on the base install using retrieved packages from the net over wireless. The AP is WPA2 secured with DHCP off. This cannot be changed! I have the passphrase key and IP address of AP.
Is this possible, what is the HOWTO procedure/linux commands. No 'man' pages please, I've looked at wlconfig and ifconfig - I genuinely need help please and not references to man pages.

Many thanks.

dstew
August 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Do you want to install a minimal Ubuntu from the Live CD? And then later, add packages over the internet? If so, do a server install. That gives you a minimal command-line interface, with software needed to install more packages by the internet.

vikjon0
August 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I am guessing he wants to use the minimal CD.
Anyway, using the server CD instead is probably a good idea.
I am pretty sure the result will be the same is if use used minimal.

Possbly the alt CD, havent tried it.

keratos
August 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to do a minimal install using a CD and which CD do I need (i.e. a link to it please)

Also

The question was can I use wireless after the minimal install and if so then HOW do I do this - i.e. what are the set of commands required to connect my laptop to the WAP.

p.s. I CERTAINLY DO NOT want to install a Server or anything to do with Server.

dstew
August 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM
"Server install" is just the name Ubuntu uses for a command-line interface install. You don't have to install server software, or create a file server on a server install. It is essentially the same a regular Ubuntu, only without the gnome graphical user interface, also known as the desktop.

Later, if you want to install the full desktop, you can do
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopand your server install will become a desktop install.

EDIT: Here is the server download page: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-server
You can also install a server system from an Alternate Install CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

keratos
August 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
thanks. done it with server install, no desktop because I wanted minimal base + icewm. Icebuntu too bloated!
cheers