PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is Rhythmbox freezing on me?

JohneG
August 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
When i go to play some audio files it freezes. I'm assuming this is cause it doesn't support the file format? Is there a way of expanding the formats that Rhythmbox supports if thats the problem? I have tried Banshee and while i like it i prefer Rhythmbox for one main reason. . . it seems to be lighter. If i could get this one problem solved then i would have my mind made up. Anyone able to help?

Stochastic
August 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Moved to Multimedia & Video.

heluani
August 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
try running
$rhythmbox -d on a terminal, that might help. Also you can try something like
$rhythmbox -d 2>&1 | tee my-rhymbox-stalls.log and then take a look at the file "my-rhythmbox-stalls.log". Finally you might want to run
$gdb rhythmbox do whatever you do to freeze rhythmbox and get a stacktrace. Posting here (or in Rhythmbox's mailing list) that info might be useful.

R.

EDIT: as for your original question regarding formats, Rhythmbox uses gstreamer so any format that your gstreamer understand can be played with Rhythmbox. You might want to install gst-plugins-{base,good,bad,ugly,ffmpeg}... etc.

Wanas
September 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
When i go to play some audio files it freezes. I'm assuming this is cause it doesn't support the file format? Is there a way of expanding the formats that Rhythmbox supports if thats the problem? I have tried Banshee and while i like it i prefer Rhythmbox for one main reason. . . it seems to be lighter. If i could get this one problem solved then i would have my mind made up. Anyone able to help?

Try to increase the Network Buffer | Edit > Preferences > playback
It fixed the same problem that I was having