PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 goes without a hitch!

doorunrun
August 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think the Ubuntu team has done an awesome job with this distribution. I did a double-jump last night going from Hardy to Jaunty. I probably chewed my fingernails down to their nubs worrying whether or not there was "light at the end of the tunnel" going through this upgrade.

I have been pretty happy with Hardy and had my system tweaked to my liking and didn't really want to have to sort out another upgrade. But, I felt I was lagging behind and there was a little lull in my workflow so what the heck, right?

As someone who supports Windows in my day job, it's nice to do an upgrade that includes all the recent patches and now I don't have to spend more time running updates! OK, so I'm a little behind on moving to Jaunty, but now that I'm here, I'm not so worried about 9.10 on the horizon.

OK, back to work!

raymondh
August 19th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Congratulations.

If you have a spare drive, or space, you can install Karmic and start tweaking :)

Congratulations again.

running_rabbit07
August 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM
You can also install Virtual Box and use it to install Karmic. That way you don't have to worry about data loss.

Just during the past few days I have installed multiple versions of Ubuntu via VBox to include Karmic and they have all worked great. You also don't have to burn the image to disk. VBox can read it as an ISO.