PDA

View Full Version : New to Programming in Linux

scroo.loose
August 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
To those who care to read:

I am relatively new to linux. I just got a server up and running; Jaunty Jackalope 32-Bit. I also have a desktop where i will be doing most of my programming and other devlopement which is also Jaunty Jackalope but for desktop. Well anyways i am looking for a development kit for programming as well as web design which is user friendly, and since i will be doing webdesign i would like a gui. Are there any programs which you can recommend. Last night i downloaded Blue Fish. Does anyone have any experience with this software? Is it flexible? Is there perhaps a better kit that you can suggest. I am very open to suggestions. Please advise.

Tibuda
August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
It is a matter of preference. There are many different tools available.

For webdesign I prefer to use Gedit (the default Ubuntu text editor) to write HTML and CSS, Firefox+Firebug (apt:firebug) for inspecting the layout, and GIMP or ImageMagick (apt:imagemagick) to work with images. For the development, I have the classic Apache+PHP+MySQL (apt:libapache2-mod-php5,php5-mysql) server from the repos, and also Ruby on Rails installed using RubyGems (apt:rubygems). I have the external tools plugins enabled in Gedit, with some tools for GIT (apt:git-core) and HTML Tidy (apt:tidy).

matmatmat
August 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Aptana (http://www.aptana.com/)

scroo.loose
August 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I appreciate the replies i will certainly check out all of those aps. i look forward to getting more comfortable with all that the world of linux has to offer. I dont know why it took me so long to emancipate myself from windows.

Copernicus1234
August 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I think Aptana would be a good choice for your needs in this case.