PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First Time User - Help Appreciated

Xzalander
August 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
After a nasty burn and sore taste left in the mouth by a certain OS, Im interested in switching to Linux.

Also I've noticed there are dozens of variations of Linux and methods to do so, and also the fact that by installing to a USB I miss out on a few goodies (according to a few others who have used Linux); so I figured it would be best to come straight to the man about the dog so to speak.

For now though I want to take it slowly so how do I go about Installing Ubuntu onto a Pendrive (2GB)?

kestrel1
August 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
After a nasty burn and sore taste left in the mouth by a certain OS, Im interested in switching to Linux.

Also I've noticed there are dozens of variations of Linux and methods to do so, and also the fact that by installing to a USB I miss out on a few goodies (according to a few others who have used Linux); so I figured it would be best to come straight to the man about the dog so to speak.

For now though I want to take it slowly so how do I go about Installing Ubuntu onto a Pendrive (2GB)?
Take a look at this: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-usb-bar

Xzalander
August 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah I read that, and straight from the start I got no sense out of it, Last I knew windows doesnt use commands like that, so is it implying I have to install Ubuntu onto a partition first then the USB or can it do an old "Amiga" boot from disc OS?

Also any tips on what "Variety" of Ubuntu I should be using? Is there any specific type best for amateur linuxers or for pendrives or just forum preference?

Copernicus1234
August 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I think if you have no experience with Linux at all, it will be a challenge to install it to a pendrive.

Wouldnt it be better to learn it by installing it using the normal install method on a hard drive or using Wubi to install it on your Windows partion?

Xzalander
August 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I think if you have no experience with Linux at all, it will be a challenge to install it to a pendrive.

Wouldnt it be better to learn it by installing it using the normal install method on a hard drive or using Wubi to install it on your Windows partion?

True but my hardrive is limited as it is it wont let me partition it due to somekind of locks on the hardware, I presume because of the manufacturer build and I dont want to risk yet another format.

I'll just follow the guide and use standard ubuntu.

Xzalander
August 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Take a look at this: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-usb-bar

hey Kestrel sorry to bother you if youre reading this but;

The first two sections are those commands done in the Ubuntu or in Windows Commandline?

Copernicus1234
August 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM

The first two sections are those commands done in the Ubuntu or in Windows Commandline?

That tutorial is using linux commands, so it assumes you are already running ubuntu and want to install it on a pendrive.

kestrel1
August 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Yes as said above all in Linux.
Have you thought of using VirtualBox to install Ubuntu or even a wubi install from within Windows.
If you boot a Ubuntu CD from within Windows I think you get the option to install, never tried it myself. VirtualBox Can be downloaded from here: http://www.virtualbox.org If you want to Run linux under a virtual environment.