PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SLOW updates

RonRN18
August 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Is there any way to speed up downloads in "Update Manager"? I'm guessing that the server hosting the files is overloaded... any way to lighten the load by using some for of localized distribution of updates? I have a fairly fast connection (synchronous 25 Mbps) yet I get timed out with downloading updates due to congestion (presumably). This is frustrating.

misfitpierce
August 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Usually around this time in middle of night the server's are updating or other various things and it is hard to get updates. Wait till later or mid-day to get them or so and everything should run fine. There is no way to speed up what speed you get from the server's though. If you live closer to wherever the server's are you may get a slight speed boost but there are a lot of people getting updates etc. but im sure they are not that overloaded or Canonical would get some more servers up for Ubuntu updates etc.

Partyboi2
August 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Is there any way to speed up downloads in "Update Manager"? I'm guessing that the server hosting the files is overloaded... any way to lighten the load by using some for of localized distribution of updates? I have a fairly fast connection (synchronous 25 Mbps) yet I get timed out with downloading updates due to congestion (presumably). This is frustrating.
If you are finding the download speed is slow try changing the download server under Software Sources (System>Admin>Software Sources).

pmlxuser
August 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
+1 to Partyboi2

rdionicio
August 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I just made my changes and the speeds were SO much better. On the first tab you'll see "Download From" click on the drop down and select "other"

Then click on the button "Select Best Server" and it will do a test to see which server is best from your location.