PDA

View Full Version : Nimi Visuals, compiz for windows?

shafin
August 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
It looks interesting:

Description:
Windows effect and customization engine offering over 40+ inbuilt amazing effects like launchers, jelly windows, transparent windows, snow, blurred taskbar and many other (check webpage for more information). As well as advanced repository system for installing, managing and autoupdating 3rd part customization software, NV plugins, desktop scripts, wallpapers and even system themes.

It sizes ~1mb, many effects use GPU acceleration and usually has 10 mb memory usage footprint - doesn't require installation, can be run as portable and doesn't use registry.

http://www.mynimi.net/

murderslastcrow
August 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
So it's basically creating Xgl/Compiz from scratch for Windows?

Interesting idea. Means our friends using Windows won't have to fret about having less visual effects than us. It should level the playing field a bit, and make people realize, "wait, if Linux keeps getting this stuff FIRST... and it's FREE...."

Endlessly hack a closed, costly system or easily customize an open, free system.

I guess this should make me happy- at least it's not coming from the people at Microsoft (they're not quite so clever). Since it's free, I guess I have no real objections. Still has a sour feeling for me, though. I guess I'm just a bit selfish when it comes to cool software on my chosen platform.

I highly doubt its performance level as compared to compiz running on Gnome, or Xfce4 for that matter. I'm going to get on my parents' PC to test it out anyway.

myNimi
August 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
It looks interesting: Surely does :)
So it's basically creating Xgl/Compiz from scratch for Windows? :3
Interesting idea. Means our friends using Windows won't have to fret about having less visual effects than us. Not close yet - not many people know on this, only commercial software and not doing much is actually popular nowadays on Windows. Shame. I would get more attention for developing something on Linux, like toster drivers for LED display (wait someone did that)... but what to expect - os battle: quality over quantity
It should level the playing field a bit, and make people realize, "wait, if Linux keeps getting this stuff FIRST... and it's FREE.... Good point :D Btw, I always liked Slackware - Ubuntu is good community idea, but I somehow got stuck with that architecture.
Endlessly hack a closed, costly system or easily customize an open, free system. Best thing on Linux - it works, if it doesn't it can get fixed :D (and X server would help so much for effects)
I guess this should make me happy- at least it's not coming from the people at Microsoft (they're not quite so clever). I should print that and put on the wall. But why I can't get any job...
Since it's free, I guess I have no real objections. :D
Still has a sour feeling for me, though. I guess I'm just a bit selfish when it comes to cool software on my chosen platform. My my... don't worry then!
I highly doubt its performance level as compared to compiz running on Gnome, or Xfce4 for that matter. I'm going to get on my parents' PC to test it out anyway. Basicly it can use GPU, and I try to keep code clean and fast - but as before os has it's limitations. P.s.: I'm Nimi developer, and I found this thread googling around this morning.

murderslastcrow
August 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
So guys, tested this out... They say it works on Vista and Windows 7, <snip>. You can only turn on a couple effects, and even then you can't open any new windows without them being invisible. So you need Windows XP to run this correctly.

Ironically, this means you can get better effects in Windows XP than in Windows 7, and you could put on all the mods making Windows XP a more favorable OS than the latest from Microsoft. A tad bit hilarious.

I can see this turning into something much bigger if they can program some enhancements into it.

I knew this would happen someday, though. A compiz clone for Windows to level things out and give Windows fans one more reason to stay. However, when Wine's developers finally get the APIs fully written (probably another 10 years from now XD), who's going to have an excuse better than, "I want my Windows programs in categories, too, not in the Wine menu?"

Yeah, that's right, I openly advocate Wine. Why? Because I bought a lot of professional software, hundreds of dollars worth, and I wasn't going to just go without them when I switched. Wine made that possible, and improved the speed of each of those programs.

The only thing that will come of Windows copying good ideas from everyone else is that, someday soon, the argument will not be, "I can't do this on this," but it will be, "300 dollars or free?"

Even if they create tools that allow you to have a Windows 7 LiveCD, or allow Windows to use ext4, or allow Windows to have its own repositories, or replace UAC with a real security system that asks for a password, even if all of this comes to be and creates an ideal world for Windows users...

It will only bring up free vs. paid. That will be the only solid argument, and anyone who says paid & closed is a fool.

(whoops, that turned into a rant)

myNimi
August 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
So guys, tested this out... They say it works on Vista and Windows 7, but they're lying.
I request immediate removal of this post and public apology , as this is clearly defamation. International law, EU and USA are clear on such cases. I hope that I won't need to request mod action, or send legal letter before action to website provider.

And to Your information as it's developed in .NET, so it should work on any capable system like W7. Moreover, quoting from dA page:

Tested under: Vista Home Basic, XP
Reported to work: Windows 7 and .NET capable systems
and it happens for me that it's being developed on Vista Basic notebook and XP netbook.

And more friendly - it's not like everyone could install everything easily on this OS... not like we would have apt-get to live with and linked libraries. ;)

You can only turn on a couple effects, and even then you can't open any new windows without them being invisible. So you need Windows XP to run this correctly.
If You review - write which effects You were using, and on what system configuration, computer specification. Somehow majority of people doesn't seem to have such problems.

Writing for sake of writing - that something didn't work for You doesn't solve any problem, it's more like simply complaining in my opinion.

Ironically, this means you can get better effects in Windows XP than in Windows 7, and you could put on all the mods making Windows XP a more favorable OS than the latest from Microsoft. A tad bit hilarious.
Sounds more friendly XD

I can see this turning into something much bigger if they can program some enhancements into it.
Year of development so far.... _O_

(whoops, that turned into a rant)
Personally I think - surely You did.

jrothwell97
August 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
You can't censor people's bad experiences. If it doesn't work for someone, it doesn't work for them. Claiming it is libelous is wildly incorrect as it's probably the truth, albeit only for this person.

Besides, I don't see the point. The majority of Linux videos on YouTube seem to be Ubuntu with some impractical theme installed and an impractical amount of effects enabled, simply to sell GNU/Linux to the world on the premise of *oooh shiny wobbly windowz omg omg*. Now that's possible on Windows as well - big deal.

Prettiness is very nice, but unfortunately, it also has to be matched with function. I don't see very much function in MyNimi, unfortunately, apart from to appease visual effects junkies.

Viva
August 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
You might get that post removed, but forget about the apology

myNimi
August 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM
You can't censor people's bad experiences.
I don't plan to - but they can't accuse of lying, there is a difference of saying: I had bad experience with something, it didn't work for me than what He did.

If it doesn't work for someone, it doesn't work for them.
I definitely agree - doesn't plan to change world on that field.

Claiming it is libelous is wildly incorrect as it's probably the truth, albeit only for this person.
Freedom of word - definitely yes! But it doesn't mean we can behave like barbarians and forget on netetiquette and that there is law on top of that.

Besides, I don't see the point. The majority of Linux videos on YouTube seem to be Ubuntu
I live in age where command line is ultimate tool.

with some impractical theme installed and an impractical amount of effects enabled
Everyone has different taste - for example I really liked working with FlxBx (don't want to use name), one of the best ideas ever for me.

, simply to sell GNU/Linux to the world on the premise of *oooh shiny wobbly windowz omg omg*. Now that's possible on Windows as well - big deal.
Live changes, time flows - and most important everyone should live happily.

Prettiness is very nice, but unfortunately, it also has to be matched with function.
Seriously You just spoke what I wanted to say.

I don't see very much function in MyNimi, unfortunately, apart from to appease visual effects junkies.
That's why I try to keep balance between effects and other tools. :)

You might get that post removed, but forget about the apology
Where I live people take consequence of their actions, and I didn't seen anything wrong in asking for "sorry I could formulate it in other way" etc.

Internet isn't apart of normal world - one need to realize that.

Dark Aspect
August 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM
P.s.: I'm Nimi developer, and I found this thread googling around this morning.

I request immediate removal of this post and public apology , as this is clearly defamation. International law, EU and USA are clear on such cases. I hope that I won't need to request mod action, or send legal letter before action to website provider.

You have officially made me not care about your project since you don't respect freedom of speech.

myNimi
August 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM
You have officially made me not care about your project since you don't respect freedom of speech.
As it seems that You live in US so You could read that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_defamation_law#Defamation_per_se (rest is interesting as well)

So as before I really respect freedom of speech - not to mention my country actually is first which made fundamentals of democracy in modern history (not speaking of first examples in history - those were good, but too distant). But I still think people should watch their tongue - calling that someone lied isn't actually most polite what one can do in my opinion.

abrari
August 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Hey, too much OOT.

This thread is about Nimi Visuals, eh? Why bother too much about freedom of speech or so?

cariboo
August 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM
This thread is closed, as it is turning in to a flame war