PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual boot; adding Xp to Ubutu, Starting up...NOT.

stillcen
August 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I had two drives on the same cable from the mother board. Have/Had Ubuntu on the distal of the two, the proximal hardDrive was blank. Disconnected the Ubuntu drive and installed Windows XP on the other drive. Hooked both drives back up and Ubuntu booted. Edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst by putting

title Window XP

root (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

at the very very end.

Reboot the machine, press escape to get the load menu, move the hi-light bar down to Windows XP press enter. Screen goes black and

Starting up . . .

appears. But nothing happens.

XP loads just fine when not going through the unix load menu. Ubuntu still loads find with both drives hooked up

I have messed around with the; root (hd1,0) by messing around with the numbers tried
1,0 0,1 0,0 1,1 0,2 1,2 you get the picture with these numbers get a device or no drive error.

Help.

As a side note, with both drives hooked up which operating system loads....the OS that booted last.
Meaning; when I disconnected the Ubuntu drive, Windows loaded, hooked the Ubuntu drive up and Windows loaded. Disconnected th XP drive Ubuntu boots, hook up the XP drive start machine and Ubuntu loads. Interesting.

Ubuntu drive is sda and xp drive is sdb

Thanks in advance

stillcen

stinger30au
August 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Mark Phelps
August 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
To boot, Windows must think it's on the first hard drive. If it's not, you fool it into thinking that as follows:

Presuming that the first HD contains Ubuntu and you boot from that, add the following after the root statement to your menu.lst stanza:

map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)

This will make XP think it's running from the first drive.