PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Install issues

kenji_03
August 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Firstly, thank you for your time.

I view this forum as the god of all things Ubuntu and sometimes forget to check the repositories first. I installed Java using this tip from the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76702)

The instructions above are dated, please do not use them. Use the following instead:
Execute one of the following:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk - For the JDK (Developer)
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre - For the JRE (User)

So now I have a terminal window with a bunch of legal stuff written in it and I don't know what exactly to do. I cannot figure out how to close it, it looks like those old dos programs that gave you the legal mumbo jumbo in DOS, but again, I cannot figure out how to hit okay and move on.

Trying to close the window tells me there is a process still running in terminal, should I close it anyway?

Partyboi2
August 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hi, sound like you need to accept the license agreement, try pressing "tab" then "enter" to accept.

altog33k
August 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
having the same issue Can someone help please?

altog33k@altog33k-desk:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
Password:
E: Malformed line 38 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
altog33k@altog33k-desk:~$

oldos2er
August 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM
having the same issue Can someone help please?

altog33k@altog33k-desk:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
Password:
E: Malformed line 38 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
altog33k@altog33k-desk:~$

Not the same issue at all. In a terminal, run gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and either comment out line 38 by adding a # at the beginning of the line, or delete line 38 entirely (to activate line numbers in gedit, hit Ctrl-I, type in 38).