PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Shadow from desktop items' text

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Ok... anyway to remove the shadow that is normally present on desktop items (such as icons, files... etc) ? I use gnome.

thanks!

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
but does anyone know how to disable the shadow on the text of desktop items like icons and files? Sorry if this doesn't belong here; can't find anything on google either. Using ubuntu + gnome. Many thanks

raymondh
August 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
but does anyone know how to disable the shadow on the text of desktop items like icons and files? Sorry if this doesn't belong here; can't find anything on google either. Using ubuntu + gnome. Many thanks

Can you post a screenshot to visualize what you're referring to?

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Can you post a screenshot to visualize what you're referring to?

Any item on the desktop, it has a name, a text beneath its icon. excluding conky and screenlets etc of course. If you look closely you'd notice the text has a black shadow.

stinger30au
August 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
what shadow???

i dont have any one my desktop!
can u take a screenshot and show us?

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Ok, so you see the difference between the conky text above, and the directory's name text below? the directory text stands out, it has a tiny shadow, whereas the conky is pure white.

raymondh
August 19th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ok, so you see the difference between the conky text above, and the directory's name text below? the directory text stands out, it has a tiny shadow, whereas the conky is pure white.

Have you tried with system > preferences > appearance > font TAB and it's various sub-sections like rendering, details, etc.?

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Have you tried with system > preferences > appearance > font TAB and it's various sub-sections like rendering, details, etc.?

Yups, it does not affect that at all. I tried gconf-editor as well but didn't find anything related to that shadow either

mcduck
August 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ok... anyway to remove the shadow that is normally present on desktop items (such as icons, files... etc) ? I use gnome.

thanks!

Sure.

First, you'll have to create a file called ".gtkrc-2.0" in your home directory. Then attach the following piece of code into that file:

style "desktop-icon"
{
NautilusIconContainer::frame_text = 1
text[NORMAL] = "#000000"
NautilusIconContainer::normal_alpha = 0
NautilusIconContainer::highlight_alpha = 255
NautilusIconContainer::dark_info_color = "#444444"
NautilusIconContainer::light_info_color = "#bbbbbb"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "desktop-icon"
Change the text[NORMAL]–color to change the icon name color. dark and light info colors are used for addition icon info, if you have any enabled..

When you are done, log out and back again to see the change. But be aware that this will also change the icon text colors in Nautilus windows, not only on the desktop. Change the background color/texture of Nautilus windows to dark or light one if necessary.

TheNessus
August 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Worked like a charm, many thanks! :D

Now my desktop looks better: icons with text only now fit it perfectly with same-colored and fonted conky and rainlender