PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jaunty upgrade causes 800X600 resolution

gkiteguy
August 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I am barely Ubuntu literate. I selected the package upgrade to Juanty and have been having display problems ever since 800X600. I have a Nvidia geforce2 integrated video. Ubuntu has never been happy with this but at least I got the display resolution to 1680 X 1050 before the upgrade. Now I have tried Envy, the Nvidia site and editing the xorg.conf. Does anyone have any ideas I really don't need the desktop effects, but this computer has a lot of data and programs in the XP partition, or I would just try burning a CD and doing a clean install.

running_rabbit07
August 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Got to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and install a new driver for nvidia. Let us know how that works.

gkiteguy
August 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Got to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and install a new driver for nvidia. Let us know how that works.

I don't seem to have that menu item. One of the other posts I had read had me attempt to clean all the NVIDIA packages from the system.
Maybe that caused it.

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I don't seem to have that menu item. One of the other posts I had read had me attempt to clean all the NVIDIA packages from the system.
Maybe that caused it.

Yeah, that is definitely not a good idea. Go to System>AdministrationSynaptic Package Manager and search for "nvidia" and install the one I have highlighted in my screenshot.

If you go to System>Preferences>Main Menu you should be able to added the highlighted button to your Administration Menu.

These screenshots were taken from my Virtual Box running Jaunty for best results.