PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from USB

happypizza
August 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hey guys,

I want to install the latest version of ubuntu on my Asus eee900 Netbook. I got the netbook remix, I checked it with the md5sum, it was all good, then i used the other program recomended to write it to USB. now do i just plug it in, boot from usb, and run the install? all the directions i find seem to be for a linux machine, but im running MS.

thanx for the help.

themusicalduck
August 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You just need to reboot and tell the netbook to boot from the USB disk. It'll load up just like it would if it was booting from a CD.

Remember to install it you'll have to either make a new partition to install it onto or format the entire drive, so it's a really good idea to make backups first. You can tell Ubuntu to install itself alongside windows if you like or to use the entire disk and wipe windows.

jerrrys
August 19th, 2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

happypizza
August 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Score! thanks guys, that looks pretty easy! a few more questions, should i need to be connected to the internet to do the install, i have the full img on my usb. i might just go ahead and do it tomorrow if not, or else ill have to wait a few days till i get home. also, should it automatically detect the built in wireless card and get me set up, or am i gonna have to set up a network connection and what not? again im running an asus eee 900, the site said everything should work great for it. thanx again