PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installating problems......help!!!

zacdecmun
August 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
hello i have a question im new to ubuntu my friend actually got me going on this, he is quit the computer wiz, so i figured that i have a virus on my current os that wont read or go on the intrenet, so i put this in works great i was trying a website icall.com im trying to downlaod it notice i am using the cd trial verzion i have not installed it yet, so im on icall.com i go to for youur computer, and hit download it says i need to attach it or something it says it has to be opened with an application i really new to computers i have no idea what this means, all this website does is it allows you to place a 5 min phone call for free. if any one could help on any of these problems that would be great.

thankyou.

malt^
August 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Well ubuntu isn't windows, so if your trying to install a window program it gets a tad tricky but do-able. At your screen top is the"System" button which opens a drop down screen.
Go to "Administration" and then go to "Synaptic Package Manager".
In "Syn-Pac-Man" scroll down thru the software list to "Wine".
Check the box for it (left side) and at the top hit the "apply" button.

It will then install "Wine" a window emulator to run most window programs to a point. Once the wine is install you should be able to open that install program for your phone set-up.
Hope this helps....