PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using digikam in gnome

candtalan
August 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

I am helping a newcomer to ubuntu who really likes Ubuntu (gnome) (in preference to kubuntu) and is a keen photographer, and also finds that f-spot is not what they want, however, Digikam is good for them.

I have installed digikam and things were fine until we realised that on insertion of media (sd card in this case) there is no automatic offer to open with digikan, and also - there is no *mention* of digikam in the alternative menu of
'Open with....'

I would like to get it listed in the 'Open with' (at least) and preferably to be a listed app when an sd card is inserted

comments appreciated

candtalan
August 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have now installed kubuntu-desktop (to see if something it includes will help digikam to run in gnome) and it runs ok, however I continue to use Gnome, including for Digikam.

Before kubuntu-desktop was installed, digikam did not appear in the gnome applications menu list, nor in the 'Open With' context menu.

Now it does appear in the apps menu (gnome), and runs from this ok. :-)

The 'Open With' list still did not work.
I used the custom command at the bottom of the 'Open With' list and went to
/usr/bin/digikam
which happens to be what the main Apps menu uses successfully.

However to my surprise, although the Apps menu starts digikam ok, the 'Open With' entry 'Digikam' does *not* start Digikam, when apparently the same command is being used.

My guess so far is that the 'Open With' facility is in an application (Nautilus??) which is not handling digikam well maybe.

Any help much appreciated

jimbosbees
August 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
):PI would like to know how to place my specific linux use and program and equipment on my posts. I thought when i registared i checked the email box to notify me when i got answers, but i can not find that site.
As you can see i know nothing about linux , using ubuntu 10.04 i think, dual boot w/ vista on HP laptop. Installed from cd iso.
Do not i need this info permantly on my posts to save time?
My current need is moving pictures from camera and cell phone to ubuntu and using them, lookink, organizing printing, and email them
Help! thanks jimbosbees ( and yes i am a beekeeper )

jimbosbees
August 28th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I loaded F-Spot, downloaded phone pictures', then uninstalled F-Spot. all done with ubuntu software center. Now an install icon is still on my desktop. Ubuntu 10.04 lts installed on HP laptop dual boot with vista.
If somebody would lead me how to put my profile on forum would decrease time.
thanks jimbossbees

cottfcfan
August 28th, 2012, 09:29 AM
You might have more luck starting a new thread.
This thread is 3 years old!