PDA

View Full Version : "Linux is a teenager"

billdotson
August 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/will-desktop-linux-ever-grow-911

What do you think about this? Seems to me like this guy has some issues with his X server and got all pissy and wrote an article about it. But hey, he might be right, what do I know?

red_Marvin
August 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I find it funny that he blogs in the "enterprise desktop" category, but gripes about problems with video playback.

matthewbpt
August 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Sounds like FUD to me, like the article he quoted about too, also FUD IMO. I personally have never had the X.Org crashes he speaks of. The most pain I've had to go through is getting fglrx to work properly in Jaunty, but that's not xorgs fault, its ATI's.

Chemical Imbalance
August 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
This good-for-nothing hack of a "journalist" just took Thom's article from OSnews (which already is heavily opinionated, has outdated reasoning and no good references).

Don't even waste your time reading the 'article'.

What a joke.

Ravernomina
August 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
yea he is getting all pissy because he doesn't know that to do. Its People like this who make Linux seem like poop when really its a genius OS.

Chemical Imbalance
August 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
yea he is getting all pissy because he doesn't know that to do. Its People like this who make Linux seem like poop when really its a genius OS.

I hope nobody takes this article seriously.

This guy is a complete moron.

He probably knows nothing about Linux and after reading Thom's article, decided to capitalize on the frenzy that the original stirred.

Hackjob journalism.

jrothwell97
August 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
But as my contemporary Thom Holwerda of OS News fame found out the hard way, the current iteration of the Linux video driver stack is more or less a house of cards. Seemingly innocuous actions, like resizing a video playback window, can trigger a catastrophic failure of the X Window System, taking any running graphical applications down with it.

But that's not Linux's problem. That's usually caused by proprietary drivers released as binary blobs.

23meg
August 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well known fact: throwing controversial adjectives at operating systems brings hits, which bring "IT" websites cash through advertising, with which to pay more mediocre hackjob "journalists" to spit out content-free blog posts like this one, which bring even more hits, and..

The FUD lives on thanks to your clicks. No amount of rebuttal will kill it. Don't swallow the linkbait - don't click that link.

hanzomon4
August 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Translation: X dieing should not kill my apps are even the gui. I don't care how cool it is! windows pisses me off less so must be superior

XubuRoxMySox
August 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
And besides, being a teenager ain't a bad thing. Most of the adults I know would love to be teens again, lol.

-Robin

hoppipolla
August 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Meh there is a shadow of a point here, "Linux" has been in this stage for a little while, where it doesn't provide quite as refined and professional an experience to the end user, particularly a less computer-savvy end user.

Ubuntu's approach is I believe a huge step in the right direction however, I support the distribution whole-heartedly ^_^

kingbilly
August 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Well known fact: throwing controversial adjectives at operating systems brings hits, which bring "IT" websites cash through advertising, with which to pay more mediocre hackjob "journalists" to spit out content-free blog posts like this one, which bring even more hits, and..

The FUD lives on thanks to your clicks. No amount of rebuttal will kill it. Don't swallow the linkbait - don't click that link.

Excellent point!

For those of you that haven't RTFA, view it through google's cache

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/will-desktop-linux-ever-grow-911

kingbilly
August 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM
LOL his "case-in-point" was just that, a single error that is supposed to represent a linux os as a whole.

How many "mature" operating systems like XP have crashed due to a misbehaving program?

dtoronto
August 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Why do people write things like that, X-server is nothing new and it almost sounds like he started griping about the video card vendors not releasing Open Source drivers. I think some people believe Linux to be something it's not. I wouldn't consider Linux or Ubuntu or any other distro of linux to be loaded with "eye candy." I use Linux for speed, security and reliability. I think Compiz is really cool but I wouldn't recommend changing your entire OS based on it. If you're looking for whistles and bells or video quality I would stay away from any Linux distro, but that doesn't mean it's should be considered an adolescent Operating System.

hanzomon4
August 19th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Well thats the thing... it works so well until it totally commits suicide. But while I agree with the recent articles regarding X, I agree 2 to 3 years ago. X has gotten much better, it only crashes now if I mess up the initial nvidia driver install. I honestly can't remember a time it's died while I was logged in.

Why do I agree.. well X should not have the power to destroy all of my work or my GUI if it ups and dies. It's as bad as a kernel panic or bsod