PDA

View Full Version : oooes look whats comming to town.

bender1234
August 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I really don't like any of the linux editors .. atm..

Guess you all know, but this guy is comming to town:
http://www.ultraedit.com/products/uex.html

:D Guess it's old news since the beta period is almost over. Just had to tell if someone else didn't know hehe.

jpeddicord
August 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Bleh. I hated UE on Windows: it was too bloated and the interface was cluttered. Gedit with gedit-plugins is all I need.

Besides, I'm doubtful they'll release the source.

credobyte
August 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've always used Gedit ( even on Windows @ work ) - enough fast and easy to use to not to bother about "why I use it ?".

slavik
August 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
geany

Mirge
August 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
geany

slavik said it best. If you're after a quick, easy to use editor, geany is hard to beat. Ultraedit sure doesn't, imo.

credobyte
August 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
slavik said it best. If you're after a quick, easy to use editor, geany is hard to beat. Ultraedit sure doesn't, imo.

The one and only culprit for Geany is .. KDE ( needs quite a lot of modifications ).

kpkeerthi
August 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Its good to know that commercial vendors are porting their products to Linux. But, as far as text editors are concerned Linux/Unix has better, powerful and 'free' ones already available. I'm not as excited. :)

sujoy
August 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
there's only two text editors. vim/emacs. the rest are trying to get there ...

Mirge
August 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The one and only culprit for Geany is .. KDE ( needs quite a lot of modifications ).

What modifications? I use Kubuntu 9.04... Geany runs flawlessly.

credobyte
August 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
What modifications? I use Kubuntu 9.04... Geany runs flawlessly.

I can't seem to find a way to configure it so I could use it with xterm ( by default it tries to launch Gnome terminal ). Once I replace terminal with xterm, every time I try to execute my application, I get "permission denied". The weirdest thing is that, the path xterm ( via Geany ) tries to execute is 100% valid & I haven't had any problems with compilation.
Looks like I'm the only one who have this problem ? 8-[

Mirge
August 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I can't seem to find a way to configure it so I could use it with xterm ( by default it tries to launch Gnome terminal ). Once I replace terminal with xterm, every time I try to execute my application, I get "permission denied". The weirdest thing is that, the path xterm ( via Geany ) tries to execute is 100% valid & I haven't had any problems with compilation.
Looks like I'm the only one who have this problem ? 8-[

Odd, I haven't had that happen.. but I've only done it on 4 of my comps. Hardly representative of the whole Geany user-base :).

bender1234
August 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hehe maybe it's just because I've been a windows man and used UE for so many years ;)

Must admit that gedit isn't that bad though, still I'm very glad to finally get my UE in linux.
Still got quite a lot of annoying bugs though.

bender

Mirge
August 24th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hehe maybe it's just because I've been a windows man and used UE for so many years ;)

Must admit that gedit isn't that bad though, still I'm very glad to finally get my UE in linux.
Still got quite a lot of annoying bugs though.

bender

I'm glad more people are porting software to Linux. I hope the trend continues and increases at a faster rate!

Nevon
August 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
That looks exactly like Geany. :S

Sinkingships7
August 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
That looks exactly like Geany. :S

Exactly what I was thinking.

jimi_hendrix
August 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
geany

+1, geany is very simple and a great editor

or one could always use vim...

WitchCraft
August 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
there's only two text editors. vim/emacs. the rest are trying to get there ...

Emacs would be a good operating system if only you could edit text with it within reasonable time.

As for vi/vim, after a 5 minutes tutorial, you'll be able to use it if you absolutely have to.

On the console, nothing beats nano. Even has mouse support in console mode ;-)))

Did anybody here actually ever use ultraedit ?
I remember me deinstalling it on windows because it was that useless.

Mirge
August 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Emacs would be a good operating system if only you could edit text with it within reasonable time.

As for vi/vim, after a 5 minutes tutorial, you'll be able to use it if you absolutely have to.

On the console, nothing beats nano. Even has mouse support in console mode ;-)))

Did anybody here actually ever use ultraedit ?
I remember me deinstalling it on windows because it was that useless.

Yes, I've used UE. I wouldn't call it useless, but there are far better free alternatives, Geany being one of them, IMHO.

jimi_hendrix
August 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM

vim does too, but nano doesnt have syntax highlighting or am i wrong

jpeddicord
August 25th, 2009, 12:31 AM
You know, after all of these comments and praise for Geany, I decided to try it out on some Python code. Wow. This is amazing. :)

Sinkingships7
August 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
You know, after all of these comments and praise for Geany, I decided to try it out on some Python code. Wow. This is amazing. :)

Oh great! A convert! Alright, we're going to need you to take that first hall on the left. Someone will be right with you and we'll start your commencement as soon as possible.

Mirge
August 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM
jacob: try some geany plugins... barebones geany is pretty good, the plugins make it better.

jpeddicord
August 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM
jacob: try some geany plugins... barebones geany is pretty good, the plugins make it better.

I found some good plugins, but apparently they aren't compatible with my Geany version (0.18). Looks like that was just updated in Karmic today, so the plugins will probably catch up shortly. There are some annoyances I have with the editor (shortcuts and autocomplete) but I think it's because I've been trained to use Gedit.

mehaga
August 25th, 2009, 02:58 AM

I'm a big fan of good text editors and IDEs, and have been one for several years. So i tested pretty much all the editors there are for windows and linux. I tried emacs and vi couple of times, but both were too different from everything else I used, and i quickly dropped them every time. Then, about a week ago, I needed an editor that would support Java, Ant and XML. I knew most linux editors would just give me syntax highlighting and ability to run ant, but no auto completion. And, for me, autoc. is a must have. Then i ran into JDE, an emacs extension for Java. After couple of hours of fighting with it and whining in this forum, I learned some basic stuff. Then I started coding and, I swear, this was the first time in many years I loled out of pure joy while writing code. Few things I liked:
- common stuff like 'public void....' becomes 'pu vo ', entire 'if else..' becomes 'ife ', editor fills in the gaps w/o need to invoke it with a special shortcut (just hit space) and without offering auto completion options (mucho importante),
- find/open a file deep in folder hierarchy - two kbd. shorcuts and give it file name,
- you type something once and never again, editor auto-completes based on your previous typing (even if you're typing a comment) and allows you to cycle through possibilities...

Plus all the stuff common in IDEs like code completion, generation (getters, setters and the like)... and all running as snappy as possible. The only thing i don't like about it is it's appeareance, but that's no big deal. If there is an editor that can do this and more, i'd love to hear about it. I'm guessing vi fans will have a thing or two to say :p

Gen2ly
August 25th, 2009, 05:17 AM
To the quick bluefish ain't doing it and if you need to type in a number of repetative long running tags you're gonna break you're fingers pretty quick. From the looks this doesn't look like a it has the ability to quickly be able to get to tags but I don't know without trying it. When this comes out I'll try it. Been using Arachnophilia for quite a bit now and it's not bad. We'll see.

WitchCraft
August 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
vim does too, but nano doesnt have syntax highlighting or am i wrong

Nano does not support syntax highlighting as far as I know (but I don't always know everything ;-)) ).

How can I get mouse support & syntax highlighting in vi on the console ?

Anyway I use Geany since the first two days that I used Linux, and now that I HAVE to work on Windows again, I was so annoyed by notepad that I searched for a windows equivalent and I've discovered that there is a Windows port of Geany.:)

jespdj
August 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Besides, I'm doubtful they'll release the source.
Ofcourse they will not!

UltraEdit is a commercial product. It's from IDM Software (from Ian D. Mead), and selling UltraEdit (and some other software) is how he makes a living.

It's not going to be open source and it is going to cost money to use it after a trial period, just like the Windows version. I don't think he will sell many copies of UE for Linux.

WitchCraft
August 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ofcourse they will not!

UltraEdit is a commercial product. It's from IDM Software (from Ian D. Mead), and selling UltraEdit (and some other software) is how he makes a living.

It's not going to be open source and it is going to cost money to use it after a trial period, just like the Windows version. I don't think he will sell many copies of UE for Linux.

Obviously not.
For a product to justify a price, it actually needs value added, and not junk added.

Besides, I started writing my own Hexeditor - it's fun ;-))

randrews
September 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I use ultraedit because I've had to use it at work for years. Its column editing functionality makes it stand out in dealing with fixed-width column data we use a lot. Over time I've come to appreciate it and haven't ruled out running it under linux.

However, for most fixed-width column operations, I can bang out something in python and run it significantly faster than doing it in UE.