PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing envelopes in Ubuntu 9.04

zarthon
August 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I was reading an old thread originating from back in 2005:
Printing Envelopes in openoffice.org:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-86179.html

Using openoffice and cups the situation has only gotten more difficult.

I got satisfactory results through trial and error.
I am using a brother laser printer HL-5250DN. In opoen office i went to the insert menu and got "insert envelope" to insert an envelope. It is very unclear but this is also where you adjust settings on an existing envelope. I experimented with the settings until I got the needed result.
I found it helpful to print on paper for these trials. I stared each trial by marking the paper in the upper right hand corner because when switching to an envelope the alignment matters. Using paper is necessary because frequently the printed image completely miss the envelope and paper is cheaper.

Now that I have one envelope printed of a particular size I reuse that document as a template.

Then it occurred to me that perhaps there is another application that handles envelope printing more gracefully.

Is there a simple way to print envelopes without resorting to labels?

If I have to print many envelopes I just use labels but one at a time I print on the envelop or if it's personal or informal business I often just hand write the address. Still there are occasions where I want to print a single envelope in my printer.

Are the paper sizes related to the driver you are using?
What is in the driver and what is handled by cups? Where could i research this further? The cups website?

stinger30au
August 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
glables may interest you

sudo apt-get install glables

zarthon
August 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I will try glabels. It definitely will work well for some of my needs. I already had it installed somehow.

I sometimes I want to print on the envelope, not on a label.
This is especially the case for my return address.

I can find no options or templates to do this.

I am being too cheap to get engraved stationary. Maybe I should just buy some printed envelopes and letterhead. It just seems so old school.

blur xc
August 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
My wife tried doing this recently, but couldn't make it work so she hopped onto our old windows pc that she already knew how to work.

What we always have done, is only change the paper size to the size of the envelope, make it landscape, and just print it. Always worked in the past. Haven't tried in in open office yet.

BM