PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live Workplace Switcher

mazz0
August 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
You know the Workplace Switcher applet for the gnome panel? Is there a fancy composite version, where instead of little grey rectangles you see a live preview of each workspace, ala expose?

AmerNewbieInDE
August 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
if you have compiz enable expo, it doesnt use the little grey desktops on the lower of the screen. with a click of my mouse though, it gives me all my desktops on my screen, a live view.

mazz0
August 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I do like Expo, it's very pretty, but I find I usually know which workspace the stuff I want is on, so it's quicker to have the workspace switcher there in the panel and just one click gets me to the the one I want. I only really use expo for moving windows between workspaces.

I was thinking the workplace switcher could be like a mini expo sat there in your panel. Could even launch full expo when you double-click on it!

AWN has a nice pretty workspace switcher - it's not real previews of the windows, but it does show your wallpaper instead of a grey box, which looks very pretty!

fela
August 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah you have to use AWN I'm afraid. BTW you don't need the workspace applet on your panel.

mazz0
August 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I do like AWN, even if it doesn't have true Mac style zooming, but I just think it's weird having a big gap either side of it when apps are maximized. I'd probably start using it if there was an expander applet for it - a seperator that expands to make the bar fullscreen, like the Flexible Space you can have in your toolbars in Firefox. I'd put it between my window list and my system tray, to make the whole thing panel like! Mind you, I also wouldn't want to give up my Ubuntu System Panel! (http://code.google.com/p/ubuntu-system-panel/)