PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting Ubuntu/Linux Mint up

Sonybuntu
August 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I've got 2 questions.

1. Will Ubuntu see my IDE HD? I have it hooked up via a Paradise Ultra66 IDE card. I want to install it on the IDE HD.

2. Can I stash my GRUB files (menu.1st, device.map, etc) on the IDE HD, while installing GRUB on the MBR of my SATA HD? Or do I have to put a /boot partition on my SATA disk?

I'm asking all this before I install Mint 7 (sorry I'm abandoing Ubuntu) so that my PC won't get all screwed up.

Mark Phelps
August 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
1. Will Ubuntu see my IDE HD? I have it hooked up via a Paradise Ultra66 IDE card. I want to install it on the IDE HD.
Best way to find out would be to boot from a LiveCD of Mint to see if it detects the hard drive.

2. Can I stash my GRUB files (menu.1st, device.map, etc) on the IDE HD, while installing GRUB on the MBR of my SATA HD? Or do I have to put a /boot partition on my SATA disk?

I'm asking all this before I install Mint 7 (sorry I'm abandoing Ubuntu) so that my PC won't get all screwed up.
Sorry, don't know what Mint needs to have setup prior to installation.

Might be better, since you're abandoning Ubuntu, to check in the Mint forums to see what they say about these issues.

Sonybuntu
August 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I didnt like mint so im going back to ubuntu.
I installed ubuntu :), but when i boot i get GRUB error 18.
:confused: What is GRUB error 18?