PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Discoveries- New Distro and Docky.

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Idk, justhought id share...as for another title on this i coulda put.."From Disaster to GREAT!!". Alright well iv'e been searching around for a new distro as always i started with Ubuntu, then Debian, had Fedora for a while which was okay but i don't care for Red Hat Package manager and yum, then moved on to Arch which i LOVED but had problems with on my laptop. Moved it to my Desktop, and now i decided to give Sabayon a try on my laptop. Sabayon a Gentoo based as Ubuntu is Debian based distro by default came with KDE, so i dled the KDE version and installed. Looked REALLY nice by default, Dark which i like but didn't mess up the look of other programs etc.But in the end as always with KDE(IMO) it lagged horribly, and resizing windows for some reason took lke 10 minutes for window to respond... ICK! I was entirely ready to give it up and totally see it as a waste of bandwidth :P, but decided why not try the gnome version... downloaded the gnome version and LOVE it...looks good by default nice and dark which i like etc. And also very stable. Runs very good even with emerald and compiz effects etc and lags very little. I went through and UNinstalled alot of things just to kinda tweak it to ONLY the programs i use(which i adapted and grew to love from my Arch experience.). I also decided to give gnome-do with docky a shot since it came installed on it. After using it i'll probably never go back to awn or unstable cairodock. My only issue now is the icons/dock is a bit big for my taste and won't let me resiize but other than that its absolutely responsive and slick, fits nice with the dark desktop. So there ya go... 2 new discoverys and 1 ULTIMATE HATE. I really had horrible issue's with that first install which i didn't even have when trying Kubuntu. Anyways anyone else wanna share there thoughts on it they can just thought id' share the story.(Also don't worry i'll still be helpin pple on here and shizz as i have all my distro hopping days.) ;)

Warpnow
August 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM
If you liked that, then you're going to LOVE paragraphs.

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
http://www.darkervision.com/Graphics/grammarpolice.jpg

Fixed that title for you. :)

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If you liked that, then you're going to LOVE paragraphs.

paragraphs?

Islington
August 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
you can resize docky just by grabbing the top edge of the dock and pulling down, or use the preferences by right clicking the gnome-do icon or by doing super + space preferences.

I assume you have used gnome do before.

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM

LoL, thanx :p

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
you can resize docky just by grabbing the top edge of the dock and pulling down, or use the preferences by right clicking the gnome-do icon or by doing super + space preferences.

I assume you have used gnome do before.

Sorry you posted as i did. I tried the pulling it down from the edge and couldn't resize it but just relized i could resize it by up & down on the spacer between icons and open apps. DIdn't see anything in preferences about resizing.

Islington
August 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry you posted as i did. I tried the pulling it down from the edge and couldn't resize it but just relized i could resize it by up & down on the spacer between icons and open apps. DIdn't see anything in preferences about resizing.

prefences>>appearance tab>>Docky behavior section for me.

you might be using an older version.

Bölvağur
August 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Fixed that title for you. :)[/center]

Is that supposed to be a joke?
Wasn't it correct... I'm pretty sure it was.

The discovery's main problem is public health...

There have been few discoveries concerning public health... ←

Mark76
August 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM

No, you're wrong, the OP was right.

Even if he is unfamiliar with the concept of paragraphs.

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
prefences>>appearance tab>>Docky behavior section for me.

you might be using an older version.

I think i am, i'll update it when i get to a hard line or my wirelessdsl at home, at a hotel and wireless==slow and ive got alot to download cause of fresh system.

JK3mp
August 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Even if he is unfamiliar with the concept of paragraphs.

Heh, damn i must be tired.... just got that. :p, sorry i'll put more format into my future posts, promise.lol

TheNessus
August 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
paragraphs?

sudo apt-get paragraphs

And then

sudo seperate my indecipherable wall of text into decipherable paragraphs

goodluck

gletob
August 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
this is how it should look

Idk, justhought id share...as for another title on this i coulda put.."From Disaster to GREAT!!". Alright well iv'e been searching around for a new distro as always i started with Ubuntu, then Debian, had Fedora for a while which was okay but i don't care for Red Hat Package manager and yum, then moved on to Arch which i LOVED but had problems with on my laptop.

Moved it to my Desktop, and now i decided to give Sabayon a try on my laptop. Sabayon a Gentoo based as Ubuntu is Debian based distro by default came with KDE, so i dled the KDE version and installed. Looked REALLY nice by default, Dark which i like but didn't mess up the look of other programs etc.But in the end as always with KDE(IMO) it lagged horribly, and resizing windows for some reason took lke 10 minutes for window to respond... ICK!

I was entirely ready to give it up and totally see it as a waste of bandwidth , but decided why not try the gnome version... downloaded the gnome version and LOVE it...looks good by default nice and dark which i like etc. And also very stable. Runs very good even with emerald and compiz effects etc and lags very little. I went through and UNinstalled alot of things just to kinda tweak it to ONLY the programs i use(which i adapted and grew to love from my Arch experience.).

I also decided to give gnome-do with docky a shot since it came installed on it. After using it i'll probably never go back to awn or unstable cairodock. My only issue now is the icons/dock is a bit big for my taste and won't let me resiize but other than that its absolutely responsive and slick, fits nice with the dark desktop.

So there ya go... 2 new discoverys and 1 ULTIMATE HATE. I really had horrible issue's with that first install which i didn't even have when trying Kubuntu. Anyways anyone else wanna share there thoughts on it they can just thought id' share the story.(Also don't worry i'll still be helpin pple on here and shizz as i have all my distro hopping days.)

TheNessus
August 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
this is how it should look

Not quite. you can't start a new paragraph with "moved it"... what is IT? there has to be a logical connection. Either he writes "moved the distro" or you don't break the para there

Warpnow
August 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Only one thought crossed my mind when I first tried Docky.

"Why isn't this in Ubuntu by default?"

Riffer
August 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM

+1 I'm not a dock person but love Docky. Tried the others which I found to be flacky, Docky has been nothing but rock solid.

JK3mp
August 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
+1 :P thought same thing when i read it (yay me , be proud), and +1 to above as well the others were okay but they just lack.

Regenweald
August 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Slap in a notification area, glue on notifyosd, add in some docky applets, boom! no more top panel. No more panel period :)

BslBryan
August 19th, 2009, 05:47 AM
No, you're wrong, the mod was right. :P

Mark76
August 19th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Are you telling me, a native English speaker from the home of English, that the plural of "discovery" is "discovery's"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

:p

Chronon
August 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Are you telling me, a native English speaker from the home of English, that the plural of "discovery" is "discovery's"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

:p
Actually, that's your claim by saying that the OP was correct. The moderator changed the topic title so that it now reads "Discoveries". You are the only one arguing for "Discovery's" as being the plural of "Discovery". The OP thanked the moderator for making the change.