PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm going to throw my Lexmark 1200 series printer out of the window!

ms_dee
August 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi, I'm not a complete expert, far from it! haha I'm learning a bit though thanks to these forums :)

I cannot seem to get my Lexmark 1200 series printer to work no matter what I try. I think I need to download some type of driver, but anything available is only suitable for windows (or is it?)

Last thing I read was Lexmark is not compatible with linux. If this is the case, I shall have to purchase a new printer as I really really need one at the moment and this is driving me nuts!

Can anyone advise what the best compatible printer would be for ubuntu on an acer aspire 3600?

p.s Anyone want to buy a perfectly good printer able to work on any PC but mines! :P

dlmarti
August 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I can't get into the database to determine the support for this printer, I am seeing stuff that says partially supported. I guess thats not a great sign.

Personally I use HP's laserjet line, all of them appear to work.

raymondh
August 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
HP's work for me.

aysiu
August 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I'd recommend an HP printer.

More info on specific models:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrintersHp

ms_dee
August 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
OK, thanks for you help everybody. Printer shopping now...:)

Raffles10
August 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I had a Lexmark...I had to bite the bullet and buy an HP as well, you won't regret it, so far my HP Deskjet has worked with every disto' I've tried. Lexmark and Linux just don't go together.:(