PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video freezing when watching FANCAST

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Occassionally, (seems to occur at random), when watching FANCAST the video will just do a FREEZE FRAME, however the audio portion continues to function normally.

If I go to the computer and move the mouse cursor, the video will un-freeze and catch up to the audio.

Is this being caused by Ubuntu, by Firefox, by Flash, by my computer, by FANCAST or something else ?

What (if anything) can I do to stop this from happening ?

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
804 + FF 3.0 + old box...works ok on mine

any chance of screensaver trying to kick in

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
804 + FF 3.0 + old box...works ok on mine

any chance of screensaver trying to kick in

NO, no screensaver used and all power modes set to never.

Any other ideas ?

Are you viewing specifically, FANCAST or some other services ?

Seems to me that I don't remember this happening when using HULU.

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
got a backup browser to try it on?

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
got a backup browser to try it on?

Don't normally like to use anything but FF, but I will give a try when I get a chance.

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
i was watching hulu on fancast...will try it again

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
i was watching hulu on fancast...will try it again

I don't know if you are old enough to remember it, but try the "Lost in Space" episodes.

Seems to happen about 1/2 to 3/4 the way thru episode.

P.S. - Am viewing on FULL SCREEN mode.

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
oh yes im old enough to remember 'lost in space'...here's the results

my old box will freeze and moving the mouse does nothing. so i fired up my wife's laptop (HP6000; FF3.0; also running 8.04) and got exact same results. on mine its as if the buffer is not loading, or at least i see no indication of buffer loading. so it would appear my problem is different from yours. this would happen only a few minutes into a fancast movie...at this point i don't know what to tell you...

also found this

Internet Explorer 6 (or higher), Firefox 2 (or higher), Safari 3 (or higher) is supported, so not much help there

and this

Microsoft Windows XP SP2 (or higher), Microsoft Windows Vista, or Mac OS X...

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I am going to see if I can find a contact at FANCAST and see if they might shed some light on the problem.

Thanks for your help.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM
let me know what happens, im already liking FANCAST, plays hulu better than hulu...ill stay subscribe to this thread...

wpshooter
August 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
let me know what happens, im already liking FANCAST, plays hulu better than hulu...ill stay subscribe to this thread...

Give me about a day. I can not get the FANCAST site (and many, many others) from here at work, blocked. Will have to try at home.

wpshooter
August 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Upon advise from Comcast, I cleared out Firefox cookies & cache.

I watched 3 episodes of Lost in Space last night without the FREEZE FRAME occuring.

So I think this may have cured the problem.

BUT my question is what does not having cleared these cookies & cache in Firefox have to do with the thing freezing like that ?

I have never really understood the WHY of this process of having to go in and clear out stuff from the browser. What exactly does this have to do with the programs working correctly ? AND, if these cookies and cache need to be cleared in order for things to work correctly, then why is this process not somehow automated ?

And it is not like that my RAM or hard drive space is deficient. I have tons of unused hard drive space and memory on this computer.

Also, I notice that a side effect of clearing the cookies & cache was that when I went back into the Ubuntu (and other) forums that my automatic login was gone. And NO, I did not have the PASSWORD box checked when I cleared the stuff in Firefox.

Thanks.

jerrrys
August 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
thanks for the reply wpshooter. ill give that fix a try, but will create a whitelist for needed cookies. as to the why of it, don't have a clue, sounds strange to me too. ):P

wpshooter
August 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
thanks for the reply wpshooter. ill give that fix a try, but will create a whitelist for needed cookies. as to the why of it, don't have a clue, sounds strange to me too. ):P

What is a whitelist ?

Here is the reason as given by Markbnj on anandtech forum.

In a case like that you may have had an old or buggy version of a resource file, control, applet, or other content that was preempting the browser check for a new version on the server side. By clearing the cache you forced the browser to reload whatever it was from the server, presumably getting a new copy that didn't have the problem. As for why it was necessary, there are several reasons why something gets stuck in the cache, that all boil down to "it didn't look different enough." As for why it wasn't automated, that's because it is a fairly uncommon occurrence.

jerrrys
August 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM

IT does save cookies, just needed a restart...

wpshooter
August 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Jerrys:

Apparently the fix suggested by Comcast was only temporary or not the correct fix, because after watching 3 episodes the previous night without the FREEZE FRAME happening, last night I watched another episode and again I got the FREEZE FRAME problem.

jerrrys
August 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
fix didn't work for me either, oh well, gave it a try. my cookies needed cleaning anyhow...