PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu

speedwell68
August 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Installed this on an old Asus EeePC 701 last night and it is a fantastic distro. I am going to swap the wife's Acer One A150 over to it tonight. I am even considering switching my desktop machine over to it too. It is so god damn fast, an excellent netbook distro.

The Toxic Mite
August 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hehe! Glad you like it! :D

Gorgoth
August 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Haha, yeah... and that speed is magnified when using it on a relatively powerful desktop system. All those extra resources you save on the DE, can be put into other things, like games... or HD video content :D

Benzaa
August 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I didnt see a huge difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu.

I was using Xubuntu for a year, thinking that it was faster, but after a while I got bored of the way it looks. It is kind of bland.

3 months ago I decided to try Ubuntu 9.04 and I love the way it looks and works. I havent feel a huge difference in performance between xfce and Gnome, and to be honest, gnome looks better.

Anyway, enjoy it for a while, but, I suggest you to try gnome again later on.

NightwishFan
August 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I like XFCE a lot. It is simple and fast, and improved a lot lately where it can really begin to compete with KDE and GNOME. Especially the control panel. I use GNOME though because nearly everything is run by drag and drop, which is magnificent.

It is odd that Xubuntu actually uses more RAM than Ubuntu on average, though it is still lighter. You have to study Linux memory concept to understand what I mean. For example the Listen player uses 55mb when Rhythmbox may only use around 20-30mb, but it does not 'need' all 55mb and could do with less.