PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with 9400GT SLI

Moritas
August 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Okay, here goes. I've tried everything I can find on these forums and google to try to get this working. I'm completley stuck.

I'm running an AMD athlon 5200pro. 2 Nvidia 9400GT SLI cards, 4gb Corsair DDR2, MSI mobo. I'm running 2 partitions. One windows XP, the other Ubuntu 9.04, well sortof running Jaunty. I want to get out of windows completley eventually.
I hate windows, I hate XP, I hate Vista, I hate the 7 beta. I want Ubuntu, I've heard nothing but good things about it; but when I install Ubuntu, I can't run any higher than 800x600 resolution (eww on a 24" monitor). So, first thing I did was hit up these forums and blogs, etc. I initially tried this fix:

Open Synaptic install the packages:
Make
GCC
build-essential
dkms
linux-headers-2.6.28-11.42
linux-headers-2.6.28.11.42-generic
linux-generic
linux-headers-generic
module-assistant

I uninstalled these from Synaptic:
Every Nvidia package I could find
All Old kernel Packages 2.6.27-x

Then I oepned the terminal and did this: sudo | grep VGA

this pops up:
04:00.0 VGA compatible Controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9400 GT
05:00.0 VGA compatible Controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9400 GT

I then closed the terminal and went to System-Administration-Hardware Drivers and I couldn't get 180.44, so just tried 180. Without rebooting, I went to the terminal again and entered sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It was blank. Explitive deleted, I should have had something in there, right? Okay, I go into windows and wipe the ubuntu format with dsmgr. Re-install Ubuntu.

Get into a fresh install and go to applications add/remove and go to system tools. From there, 180 wasn't even listed, so I installed 177 as the progam said it was compatible. Coolness. Reboot, no GUI terminal only, another expletive deleted. Re-intall again.

This time, I download the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run

I hit up the terminal, type in sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Okay, terminal only mode now. Awesome. I type cd Desktop. Then I enter sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run

I go through the install process, it goes back to the terminal eventually. I ignored all the errors and allowed the program to make it's own xorg.conf file etc as the instructions told me to.

I then did a sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

POOF

black screen, I can do nothing but boot to windows and wipe the Ubuntu partition and re-install again.

My question is: Is there any way to fix this, or am I hosed into going with XP because I can't get Nvidia drivers to work?

Any help would be great. Also, every time I do a sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf it comes up blank. I don't know what I'm supposed to see.

Thanks in advance!:confused: