PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] build tips please

fattyxyz
August 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
im planning on buying this ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 mobo and i read the customer reviews about it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=13-131-347&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=linux
and they said linux didnt work on it at all. i was gonna use hardy when i got this mobo but before i buy it i want to make sure i can get it working first so please does anyone know what i should do?

riazrahaman
August 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Buddy all I could see related to Linux over there was referring to Redhat.

You shouldn't have any problem with Ubuntu. If you still feel it might be a problem then I would suggest you install windows and run Ubuntu on virtual machine in Windows. But before you do that run Ubuntu live CD and see how it behaves or install Ubuntu using wubi that way if you think that things are broken you could uninstall Ubuntu without touching your hard disk partitions.

cascade9
August 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
*blinks* Weird, I flowed the same link and saw 3 linux comments-

"Decent Linux support, only sound not working yet"

"Can't install Red Hat Linux. BIOS is terrible"

"Works great with Ubuntu Linux!!!!!"

That motherbaord should work fine. BTW, having a look around it seems that there is VIA VT1708 (sound chip on that board) linux drivers. How good they are, unknown LOL

fattyxyz
August 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
alright i just realized what those reviews actually said and im sorry for even posting but i wanted to make sure my first linux based build wasnt gonna blow up in my face thanks for the help though