PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't get Nvidia xorg driver to work again!

bogoliubov
August 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hello. I just fiddled around to get VDPAU working on Jaunty 64 bit. I installed the 185 driver from the VDPAU PPA, but could not get things to work.

So I wanted to remove all the experimental stuff I've installed. I changed back to the 180 driver, but now the Nvidia graphics driver doesn't work!

In Xorg.0.log I get the following message:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

I have the linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic installed (but not backports) and linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-15-generic.

So I tried to remove all Nvidia stuff, reboot and the use the Jockey program to install everything correctly. Unfortunately this programs hangs all the time!

So now I don't know what to do. Please help me get the Nvidia driver working again!

bogoliubov
August 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I just noticed that there is no "nvidia" kernel module on my system. And I can't find a way to install it either...?

bogoliubov
August 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I even tried to switch back to the 185 version again, but the problem is still there. There must be a way to get the nvidia kernel module back, but I can't find it. Anyone who knows how?

bogoliubov
August 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
No one? I really need some help here. Can I fix this by running the installation disc and somehow just repair this issue?

bogoliubov
August 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Now it's almost working. I found out a little about dkms, and now the nvidia driver is installed.

But I can't get any acceleration, since there's some problem with permissions:
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).