PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WD portable Hard Drive, cant install Ubuntu

Darquemoon
August 18th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I wanted to put Ubuntu on my WD drive 320gb but my computer isnt recognising the drive. I just recently Zero'd the drive, but i forgot how to let the comp recognize it... any thoughts?

horusofoz
August 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I also have installed Ubuntu to a WD Portable Hard Drive. I installed GRUB to the portable however it doesn't load when plugged in. I've gone in and changed the BIOS to make USB-HDD the first priority however it won't pick it up there. I then went and changed the Hard Disk boot order to count the portable first. This works the first time but when unplugged and booted (Going into XP) then plugged in later the BIOS has reverted to have the internal hard disk as the first priority and doesn't load GRUB:( Can anyone advise?

Sorry if this isn't explained well I'm a Ubernoob at Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help :)

horusofoz
August 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Anyone?

horusofoz
August 24th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I realise its only been 5 days since my initial post but feels a lot longer not being able to use Ubuntu :) Can anyone advise?

horusofoz
September 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Come on people. Where's that legendary Ubuntu community support? I'm going to reiterate my issue and hopefully make it clearer.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and grub onto my portable drive.
When I reboot my computer it boots straight into Windows from internal hard disk.
I have configured the BIOS boot order priority to CD-ROM, USB-HDD, Hard Disk and alternatively to USB-HDD, CD-ROM, Hard Disk but with both of theseconfigurations the machines loads into Windows from the internal disk.
I know both Ubuntu and Grub are on the portable drive as when I disable the internal disk completely in the BIOS and reboot the computer loads Ubuntu.
Can someone please advise on how I need to do to make it so that when the external drive is plugged in, the computer boots into Grub/Ubuntu?

If possible please break down the instructions as much as possible as I am a novice Windows user who is wanting to convert to Ubuntu after developing an interest in the concept of Free and Open Source Software?

Thank you