PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight 2.0

coolbrook
August 18th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Beta 1 has been released.

betanews.com article (http://www.betanews.com/article/Moonlight-20-beta-tries-to-show-off-Silverlight-20-compatibility/1250557189)

SunnyRabbiera
August 18th, 2009, 04:43 AM
And Silverlight 3 releases next week and another year of crap for non MS uses.
Moonlight and Silverlight are a joke, and I'm not laughing.

Mateo
August 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Silverlight is quite good. Moonlight is a joke though, sure.

starcannon
August 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
^^
This.

I refuse to surf moonlight/silverlight sights until the playing field is made level. Until then, nah.

SunnyRabbiera
August 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Silverlight is quite good. Moonlight is a joke though, sure.

But Moonlight would not be in as bad shape if this alleged "collaboration" between MS and Novell were more fair...
It isnt

daverich
August 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I think now HTML5 is on the horizon all these plugins seem like wasted effort...

Kind regards

Dave Rich

DeadSuperHero
August 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM

You don't seem to keep up with dev blogs much do you?

http://squeedlyspooch.com/blog/2009/08/17/moonlight-20-beta-1/

The fact that it's working on maintaining compatibility with Silverlight 3, is Free Software, and is portable to any architechture or OS actually makes it more free and more functional to flash.

And it can even be bound to desktop applications, to boot! So before you go firing your mouth off with Schestowitiscms, consider for a moment that it is better than what the mudslingers and propoganda machines state.

Sublime Porte
August 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think now HTML5 is on the horizon all these plugins seem like wasted effort...

+1

Plugin based platforms are finished. About all Microsoft and her lackeys can do is to try and thwart the implementation of HTML5 to prolong the life of their legacy technologies.

gnomeuser
August 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Excellent, Linux users now have access to even more content using Open Source software. Better yet as Moonlight is tested against the Silverlight compliance suite it is sure to present the same experience as users of alternative OSes have (Beta 1 still fails a few tests though).

Given the speed with which the enormous (and untrivial) Silverlight 1 to 2 step has been taken I have no fear that Silverlight 3 will soon be fully covered as well. It's a much smaller change set and we already have some of the features now.

Regardless most of the content out there right now is Silverlight 2 and that should work now with Moonlight 2 beta 1.

directhex
August 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Excellent, Linux users now have access to even more content using Open Source software. Better yet as Moonlight is tested against the Silverlight compliance suite it is sure to present the same experience as users of alternative OSes have (Beta 1 still fails a few tests though).

Given the speed with which the enormous (and untrivial) Silverlight 1 to 2 step has been taken I have no fear that Silverlight 3 will soon be fully covered as well. It's a much smaller change set and we already have some of the features now.

Regardless most of the content out there right now is Silverlight 2 and that should work now with Moonlight 2 beta 1.

Remember though, in order to be kept "pure", martyrs need portions of the web to be kept inaccessible.

Also remember: Flash is wonderful and Adobe loves you long time

directhex
August 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Remember though, in order to be kept "pure", martyrs need portions of the web to be kept inaccessible.

Perhaps the best way to explain why I don't feel the same way as the "meh, it sucks" crowd above:

There should be never be a question where the the answer is "oh, Free Software can't do that"

If that means giving my wife the means to watch live streaming of terrible TV, then fine

gnomeuser
August 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM

On a different note, when will you start accepting beer and doughnut bribes to update the version in the repos to feature 2.0 goodness?

Colonel Kilkenny
August 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
How on earth are people supposed to install that thing if they're not using Firefox? Apparently we all not-Firefox-users should just compile both Mono and Moonlight to get a chance to try their creation.

I tried to extract the contents of the XPI and see if the plugin works in Opera but apparently my best is not good enough. Of course it might be that they've managed to create one more NPAPI-plugin which works in one browser only. Screw one web, let's mess up the web even more.

At the moment Moonlight plugin is no better than ActiveX.

directhex
August 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
How on earth are people supposed to install that thing if they're not using Firefox? Apparently we all not-Firefox-users should just compile both Mono and Moonlight to get a chance to try their creation.

I tried to extract the contents of the XPI and see if the plugin works in Opera but apparently my best is not good enough. Of course it might be that they've managed to create one more NPAPI-plugin which works in one browser only. Screw one web, let's mess up the web even more.

At the moment Moonlight plugin is no better than ActiveX.

As I said elsewhere, Moonlight needs to be able to inject into the DOM (largely due to the javascript interop). You can't do it with NPAPI. So Moonlight ships with "bridge" libraries to handle per-browser integration. Currently, there are two - one for Xulrunner 1.8 (FF2) and one for Xulrunner 1.9 (FF3). The design is modular enough to allow for adding more, if they get written. The plugin ought to "work" (but will fail on many sites) without a bridge

directhex
August 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
On a different note, when will you start accepting beer and doughnut bribes to update the version in the repos to feature 2.0 goodness?

When it can build without a SVN snapshot of Mono

Ric_NYC
August 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Never used Silvelight. I hope never will.

Open standars for the Intenet NOW!

Methuselah
August 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Never used Silvelight. I hope never will.

Open standars for the Intenet NOW!

Here, Here.
Anything else is pure, unadulterated NONSENSE!

quazi
August 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
^^
This.

I refuse to surf moonlight/silverlight sights until the playing field is made level. Until then, nah.

I doubt this position causes much angst to web developers/Microsoft. Websites that want traffic from Linux users do not use Silverlight.

Mateo
August 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Trivial or untrivial, 1 year is way too long of a wait for an entire operating system to be compatible with a website. The Moonlight team shouldn't have started to work on 2.0 when Silverlight 2.0 was released... they should have been almost finished at that point. Even a week of being down to an entire user base is a potential HUGE profit loss for a website owner.

quazi
August 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Trivial or untrivial, 1 year is way too long of a wait for an entire operating system to be compatible with a website. The Moonlight team shouldn't have started to work on 2.0 when Silverlight 2.0 was released... they should have been almost finished at that point. Even a week of being down to an entire user base is a potential HUGE profit loss for a website owner.

Entire user base is an interesting way to put it. Websites have been missing the ENTIRE user base of many Inuit tribes in Northern Canada for years.

Linux just isn't big enough on the home desktop for many website authors to care. Those that do don't use Silverlight.

directhex
August 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Didn't stop Flash 8 from being deployed. 18 months between Flash 8 being released, and Linux being able to load Flash 8 pages (on x86 only, of course) courtesy of the eventual Flash 9 plugin

It baffles the mind the level of tunnel vision people have on some topics.

Also, see http://visitmix.com/Opinions/Gestalt-for-Silverlight-3 for some real-world behaviour regarding Moonlight

LowSky
August 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
When you create products that can't be used by everyone, you limit your ability to sell that product to everyone.

So when can I start watching instant netflix movies? Because as of right now this stuff is BS. I want standards across the board. They dont need to be open, just availible. For instance M$ should help work on WINE, the better WINE works the more people who might buy M$ products. Just saying!

I know there are a good many people who want free as in beer and speech products, but lets be honest not everyone agrees. They should be agreeing on multiplatform support. If Firefox can work on nealry any platform than surely so can every other application.

So were is my support? I dont want to run Betas (Flash for 64bit) or out of date software (moonlight v1), or no ability at all, like Apple's iTunes or Amazon's Unbox (I want my digital downloads and these are two of the biggest companies selling them). Locking any user group out just creates less sales. The linux communty is the geek community, and we are often the first to buy group when it comes to hardware, software, and games, and music. We are early adopters who give our reviews to friends and family. We spark interest, without us, humanity wouldn't have laptops or iPods.