PDA

View Full Version : VMware versus VirtualBox?

aufan19
August 18th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hi everyone,

Before I explain my situation, I would like to say that this post does not involve linux, but does involve open-source software.

My only computer runs OS X Leopard. Today, I learned that for one of my classes this semester I need to run Windows software. The software I need to run is a program that gives Excel extra functionalities in order to calculate statistical data. The software is Windows-only (XP or Vista).

The most cost-effective option is going to be virtualization. I already have VirtualBox running Ubuntu. Is there a way for me to run the software by itself in Windows and run Office for Mac in Leopard and have them work together?

VMWare is supposed to allow you to run Windows applications like they are native OS X applications, for example opening a file in Leopard but having the Windows version of Office launch.

I know Parallels 4.0 has a feature that is supposed to be sort of a "seamless mode", but I still don't think that there is a way to get the Windows software and the Mac software working.

I just want to make sure this can work before I buy a program.

My vote is that I'll need Office for Windows to do what I need to do.

If you've read this entire post, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

theozzlives
August 18th, 2009, 02:48 AM
You need Office for Windows if you're gonna use Windows. I've only run VirtualBox, but never had any probs. I got Office 2003, XP, and 7 running on it.

Chronon
August 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I was under the impression that seamless mode would be similar to what's possible in VirtualBox with guest additions. It seems like such tight integration of code running on different kernels shouldn't be possible. Usually, I consider running code in a virtual machine to be safe from the host's point of view. The suggestion here is that a plugin running in a guest system can seamlessly integrate with an application running on the host system. I am very skeptical about that.