PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] battery drains and laptop dies while on a/c power

stuart.reinke
August 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I've noticed some strange behavior from my IBM Thinkpad R40e.

Whenever I have the processor maxed out for an extended period of time the battery starts to drain and soon it runs out of power and the computer shuts itself off. This happens while I'm plugged in and on a/c power.

It is especially bad when trying to rip a dvd. I can only rip for about a half hour at a time. Then I need to pause and allow the battery to recharge.

I'm wondering if this is caused by an incorrect setting somewhere in Ubuntu or if I have a hardware problem.

Also, This machine won't run on a/c power with the battery out.

Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Whiffle
August 18th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Does ubuntu show that the laptop is plugged in and running on A/C power, or does it show it running on battery?

stuart.reinke
August 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Does ubuntu show that the laptop is plugged in and running on A/C power, or does it show it running on battery?

It starts out with no icon at all. (I have it set to only show the icon if charging or discharging).

After a while of running with the hammer down, The icon appears and when I hover the mouse over it the tool tip says "Running on ac power xx:xx hours to charge." or something similar.

It never charges though just continues to discharge. If I slow things down (pause the dvd rip) then the battery charges until the icon disappears.

Whiffle
August 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Thats very strange. Hm. First thought is a hardware problem of some sort. The simplest would be a bad plug, either on the a/c adapter or on the laptop, but since it happens only when going full tilt, that seems to mostly rule that one out. Another possibility is whatever circuit that switches between a/c and battery is malfunctioning. Or, somehow its ubuntu, but I can't think of any reason why that would be.

Do you have windows installed, and if so, does it do the same thing under windows?

stuart.reinke
August 18th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Do you have windows installed, and if so, does it do the same thing under windows?

No I don't have Windows installed, never have on this computer. This could have been a problem since I got it used in April.

I've noticed it before, but it never ran at full capacity until the battery went dead.

Now it is a problem since I want to rip a dvd.

At the rate I'm going, It's going to take a week to rip the cd. :confused: