PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recovering badly damaged partitions

michael37
August 18th, 2009, 12:09 AM
This is a fairly complex technical question about recovery of maliciously damaged partition table and file systems.

My laptop was configured to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows. Windows partition was formatted under NTFS and was fully accessible (read/write) from Ubuntu using ntfs-3g. Linux partition was formatted as ext-3 and not accessible from Windows.

Someone intentionally damaged my partition table and possibly data on the Windows partition. The Windows partition now shows up as FAT32 in fdisk. I am able to mount this partition as vfat, but the FAT and the data shows up badly garbled. I suspect the label is wrong, but the real data underneath is still original NTFS.

Ubuntu partition was damaged too, but I was able to largely recover it. The computer now boots into Jaunty with no problems.

Question: which tools are available in Linux to dig inside a broken NTFS partition? I will likely need to manually find and identify Master File Tables and the rest of the NTFS metafiles. I am fairly comfortable with what I am doing around file systems, so no worries about damaging it more than it already is.

Thanks in advance for help.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
never had to use it, but sounds like what your looking for

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

michael37
August 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
never had to use it, but sounds like what your looking for

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Never heard of this tool, but I'll give a try.
It sounds like a good idea might be backing up the damaged partition first (dd if=/dev/sda2 of=some_file_on_usb_drive) just in case...

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
an old timer (of linux) posted it a while back and i added to my database....

michael37
August 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Worked!! I was able to recover data with minimal data loss. Testdisk scanned file allocation tables and found all the overlapping partitions. All I had to do is to point it to the right ones... and both operating systems came up after a reboot. However that rogue FAT32 was formatted, apparently it didn't significantly disrupt the underlying data structures.

jerrrys
August 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
:)