PDA

View Full Version : Your primary Linux browser

Galoot
February 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM
Pretend that neither Windows nor OS X had browsers. What would a typical site's usage statistics look like if *nix and *BSD owned the Internet?

What is your primary Linux browser? If you use several, which one do you use most often?

If I forgot your favorite, speak up. If you primarily use a text-based browser, speak up. Polls only have a maximum of ten choices and I couldn't include everything.

Please let's not go a-flamin' on each other over which browser each of us uses.

gravediggers
February 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I use Konqueror and Firefox about 50/50.
I prefer Konqueror for most sites, but haven't got all the plugins working yet, so Firefox to the rescue!

Vulpus
February 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM
I use Firefox but only because Opera doesn't work properly with Ubuntu. In the Windows world I use Opera 99%.

Vlammetje
February 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM
I use Opera and it works properly :rolleyes:

Deaf_Head
February 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM
I like konqueror ... but firefox is my browser of choice as I am a gnome user.

Suzan
February 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
My favorite Browser ist Firefox. On Linux and on Windows.

purdy hate machine
February 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Opera – and it works perfectly on Linux.

Freddie.Ruddick
February 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Firefox for me, except when my connections crawling, then its elinks (No images=faster loading)

Sheinar
February 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Used to be Firefox, but I use Konqueror 99% of the time now.

TechSonic
February 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM
You forgot to list 7 other browsers, but nobody cares about them. But I will mention one thats under dev right now. NIXIE Microsoft Internet Explorer for Linux (Hell fing no) I hate the idea but it's the newest deal right now.

Brunellus
February 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM
Epiphany, but I may re-migrate back to Firefox.

Ideally: why can't I have something that is lightweight as epiphany, but with as many extensions as firefox?

Also: why do my mouse thumb buttons work under Firefox, but not under epiphany, when I'm not using GNOME? the latter question is not strictly browser related (probably more about the xsession), but still, it bugs the heck out of me.

GeneralZod
February 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'd love to switch to Konqueror as Firefox is very resource heavy and leaks memory like a seive and is not at all well-integrated into my beloved KDE, but it's not quite ready for my web-browsing needs yet, alas :(

poofyhairguy
February 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Also: why do my mouse thumb buttons work under Firefox, but not under epiphany, when I'm not using GNOME?

Epiphany is the Gnome browser. It plays with Gnome better than Firefox.

I use Firefox 60% of the time and Epiphany or a WINED IE the rest.

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Firefox 99%. The only time I use Konqueror is when looking at lyrics from Amarok, or editing them. I don't like the way Konqueror renders pages, and the results of the Acid2 test mean nothing to me, if I don't like the way normal pages look.

It is also my fav browser on Windows.

On Linux, I had a few probs in the past with 1.07, but Firefox 1.5 has fixed a lot of the problems. Still, I wish it was faster. However, I can't have everything.

earobinson
February 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
FIREFOX primary browser even at work n school

Lovechild
February 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Epiphany, it's great - works well, integrates well, translated well.. consistent, stable, dependable.. Epiphany rocks, there's not many other ways to put it.

xequence
February 1st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Opera is far superior to Firefox.

Rumor
February 1st, 2006, 04:54 PM
The only one I use anymore is Seamonkey. If I was not using Seamonkey, I'd use Epiphany.

fuscia
February 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
it used to be firefox, but it's just too damn slow. i mostly use dillo until i get irritated with all the things i can't do on it. then, i use opera.

Perfect Storm
February 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Epiphany, it's great - works well, integrates well, translated well.. consistent, stable, dependable.. Epiphany rocks, there's not many other ways to put it.

Aye, Epiphany Rocks!!!

And it looks cool too :cool:

mstlyevil
February 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
I use Firefox primarily because it renders most web pages accurately and has a lot of great extentions that makes it one of the most full featured browsers available. I have Opera as a backup browser. Opera does a decent job but I noticed it does not render pages as accurately as Firefox. The UI of Opera annoys me a bit as they made some things a little too complex. I have tried Epiphany and the only drawback to it is the lack of extentions for it. Otherwise it had a great UI and was faster than FF at rendering pages and seemed to me to be as accurate.

KingBahamut
February 1st, 2006, 05:27 PM
No Elinks?

*sigh*

I use Elinks for all my text related reading, which is quite a bit.

void_false
February 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
And where's Links/eLinks/Lynx?:confused:

blueturtl
February 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
I don't understand why Firefox became so popular altough we've had Mozilla all along with pretty much the same functionality and more. Firefox just looks more like IE... Maybe Mozilla had bad carma because it looked like the old Netscape? Firefox was supposed to be a light-weight version of Mozilla but currently I find the only thing lighter about Firefox is it's installation package which is smaller. Mozilla actually starts and renders faster or as fast at least on my system. :confused:

briancurtin
February 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
i use firefox as my primary browser

i have no "secondary browser." if a page doesnt work in firefox, it doesnt work for me.

bored2k
February 1st, 2006, 07:45 PM
firefox

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
I don't understand why Firefox became so popular altough we've had Mozilla all along with pretty much the same functionality and more. Firefox just looks more like IE... Maybe Mozilla had bad carma because it looked like the old Netscape? Firefox was supposed to be a light-weight version of Mozilla but currently I find the only thing lighter about Firefox is it's installation package which is smaller. Mozilla actually starts and renders faster or as fast at least on my system. :confused:

Same for seamonkey. It does feel faster.

Don't forget the firefox zealots in www.spreadfirefox.org. That much advertising going on helped to boost firefox's popularity by a large deal. Also, I don't know why but firefox has a cool name...which I prefer over Konqueror, Opera and Epiphany.

DigitalDuality
February 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM
I use FF on Win, Mac, and *nix.

greenpenguin
February 1st, 2006, 10:35 PM
Firefox all the way :D. I've even got hold of 'portable firefox' for when I can't install it :)

stoffepojken
February 1st, 2006, 10:37 PM
I use epiphany. It works great for me. I used firefox before but it was driving me crazy to try to find a matching Firefox theme everytime I changed the theme in Gnome.

chimera
February 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
firefox in X, lynx in bash

IYY
February 1st, 2006, 11:31 PM
My Ubuntu machines are very low end, so I tend to use Dillo whenever possible. When I need fancier rendering, Konqueror is my browser.

Bone Down
February 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
firefox for lin / win

Orunitia
February 2nd, 2006, 12:49 AM
Was using Opera until a couple days ago when I gave Konquerer another try. Now I used Konq for everything.

raggamuffin
February 2nd, 2006, 01:04 AM
used to be 100% konq...
then i learned about firefox's adblock extention...went 100% firefox...
now konq has integrated adblocking...so almost back to 100% konq =)

Qrk
February 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
I mix about 70/15/15 Epiphany, Firefox Opera.

Pekkalainen
February 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
I switched from Firefox to Konqueror because:

*It reads pages properly
*Radiobuttons and other widgets look wonderful out of the box
*Videostreams work just as good (and sometimes better) as in Windows thanks to KMplayer.
Mozilla-mplayer never worked good enough for me in Firefox, a fine example of crappy intergration and lame settings dialogs.
*Ctrl-M gives me a nice, clean, light look, it doesnt hog the screen as much as Firefox
*It opens URL's I get from friends through Kopete seemlessly, that never worked with Firefox together with any IM-app
*It has a kick-*** filebrowser neatly intergrated
*It starts faster than lightning most of the times

Cons:
-It is pretty crashy when browsing large folders or heavy flash sites, I've been told its a distro related bug.
-There doesn't seem to be an option for opening google searches in a new tab

My $0.02

stig
February 2nd, 2006, 04:51 PM
I use Firefox but only because Opera doesn't work properly with Ubuntu. In the Windows world I use Opera 99%.

I agree. My business uses Opera all the time on Windows and we would like to use it on Ubuntu too. But we would want it in the repository to make it quick and easy to update. (I've tried doing it the "other" way but it failed for me).

Our business has accounts with several banks and we can access all the accounts from Opera in Windows - but we cannot access them from Firefox in Windows or Firefox in Ubuntu.

Overall, we prefer Opera to Firefox. It seems a smoother application to use, less frivolous and more business-like.:)

Metz
February 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I use Firefox, regardless of weather I'm on Ubuntu or Windows.

eriqk
February 3rd, 2006, 03:09 AM
Firefox, on pretty much every platform I work on, in nearly the same configuration: Mostly Crystal theme, web-developer, Tidy (or whatever the successor is called), Foxytunes.
My brand new laptop running Frankenbuntu[1] is a good excuse to try this 1.5 installation malarkey.

Groet, Erik

[1] Pronounced: Fron-ken-boontoo.

bloodborne
February 3rd, 2006, 03:15 AM
Firefox for me. Been using it for years on Windows, and haven't ever used anything else.

isaacf
February 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
I've use Firefox in Windows and in Linux and Portable Firefox when I'm at school. Although, if I'm on dial-up, it' s eLinks.

nrwilk
February 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Firefox on Linux. 50% Firefox, 50% Safari on OS X. I've used Windows for a grand total of a few hours in my life, so I can't definitively tell you what my favorite is, but I used Firefox because I despised IE's Mac client.

I'd like to use Konqueror, but integrated file/net browsers kinda put me off. It seems ok, though. After all, Safari is based on it, and Safari is excellent.

I also like Opera a lot, but it doesn't work on kernels compiled with gcc4, and I can't figure out how to get mplayer to work in it. I really like it's speed and it's interface. Oh well.

Firefox for me.

Minyaliel
February 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm mainly using Mozilla, but I also have FF installed, and might also use Konqueror (but this is rather rare as it tends not to show the web sites I visit properly)

dolny
February 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I've used Opera. But since Firefox is in the repos and it has more plugins included I switched - making the look and feel more Opera like thanks to plugins (tabs, remembering session etc).

Stormy Eyes
February 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Firefox uber alles.

zenwhen
February 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I use Firefox. Opera has a lot of cool features, but none that I think put it over Firefox, and it isn't even free software. (no price comments please)

Harold P
February 13th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I use Firefox about 80% of the time, sometimes I'll use Opera.

kpturvey
February 13th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I use firefox 100% of the time. I even use it when I'm on machines away from home. It isn't ideal. I would like a browser that would work as well as firefox, use firefox extensions and pluggins, but integrate better with the gnome desktop. In particular, I would like it if I didn't have to enter my pass-phrase to access my usernames and passwords every time I shutdown firefox. It would be nice if all my personal information could be maintained under gnome and exchanged between my browser, ssh, my email client, and so on.

I've partially solved this by simply keeping firefox opened and adding an extension to prevent it from popping up new windows.

Buffalo Soldier
February 13th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Epiphany.

papangul
February 13th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Integrated mail client, bittorrent client, IRC client and now firefox like extensions(widgets) - how can anyone not use Opera?
Firefox is my standby browser.

Rev. Nathan
February 13th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I do love using Dillo, though. If only CSS worked with it. Its speedy.

Oh and of course, I voted for Firefox. I love the customizations I've done!

http://www.bigrevmedia.com/coronets/Screenshot-Extensions.png
I almost can't browse without them. It would be so hard to switch without these options.

fuscia
February 13th, 2006, 03:21 AM
i love firefox, but i just can't handle how slow it is. so, i use opera. if dillo were a little less stark, regarding sites it can get to, dillo would be it. i like the idea of it and i use it a lot, especially when i'm doing research.

edit: huh! i thought this thread looked familiar...

it used to be firefox, but it's just too damn slow. i mostly use dillo until i get irritated with all the things i can't do on it. then, i use opera.

Maupertus
February 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
As I can't run Opera on Ubuntu 64, I have to run Firefox, but I don't like it for some reason. I've never understood why everybody wanted me to switch to FF when it offered nothing new to me.

I used to pay for Opera without feeling that it was undeserved or that I was hindering the greater good of OpenSource. And as soon as I can go back to Opera, I will.

Does Epiphany support Ubuntu64?

detyabozhye
February 14th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Opera here, Firefox crashes too often on my system and it's somewhat slow.

Maelgwyn
February 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I used to be a FF-fanboy, but I've re-discovered Opera (the latest release) and I've fallen in love!

I can't believe I survived without native mouse gestures! And it seems to run faster on my system too..

Only problem I have with Opera at the moment is that it doesn't seem to render Flash properly for me (I can't type in text-boxes etc)...

I have PortableFF on my USB-stick for when I'm at work, or somewhere else where FF isn't installed (Windows) as I refuse to use IE!

shamrock_uk
February 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Opera 9 for me, Firefox as a very occasional backup.

eMuNiX
February 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Opera mainly but sometimes Konqueror and on really rare occasion FireFox for Mplayer integration (can't get that to work on Opera). Currently using Opera 9 preview 2 and I am impressed :)

detyabozhye
February 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Lookie this: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Lookie this: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Alredy read it sometime back. I don't just look at the speed of rendering. I have tried Opera, Epiphany and Konqueror. Firefox does a better job of accurately rendering web pages. Opera was the worst in the bunch at this. Also I like the fact that I can customise FF to fit my needs with the extentions. Overall quality FF just wins hands down and it's popularity in both the Windows world, Mac and Linux proves that. I am just glad we now have so many choices and are not stuck with a sloppy Netscape or a buggy IE.

cro.smiley
February 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I use Opera and I'm more than happy with it :)

Bandit
February 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I always used Firefox.
But I been using Kubuntu and since Konq now has adblocking features. I been using it all the time. Takes a while to tweak the settings to work just like I like. But I dont see any reason to run Fx on KDE.
Cheers,
Joey

detyabozhye
February 15th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Alredy read it sometime back. I don't just look at the speed of rendering. I have tried Opera, Epiphany and Konqueror. Firefox does a better job of accurately rendering web pages. Opera was the worst in the bunch at this. Also I like the fact that I can customise FF to fit my needs with the extentions. Overall quality FF just wins hands down and it's popularity in both the Windows world, Mac and Linux proves that. I am just glad we now have so many choices and are not stuck with a sloppy Netscape or a buggy IE.
The problem with FF is that it would crash at least twice a day on my system under normal use.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
The problem with FF is that it would crash at least twice a day on my system under normal use.

I never said it was perfect. Of course I have not run into any perfect browser yet. (I am still searching though.)

detyabozhye
February 15th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I never said it was perfect. Of course I have not run into any perfect browser yet. (I am still searching though.)
Agreed, I miss a lot of FF features, but Opera just runs the best for me now, fast and stable.

doclivingston
February 15th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I like by browser to fit with my desktop, so I mostly use Epiphany. But I use Camino (Mac OS), Konqueror (KDE) and Firefox (Windows).

Ephy has all the extensions that I actually use in Firefox, so it suits me.

Bandit
February 15th, 2006, 06:57 AM
You can compile Epiphany to use Mozilla or Firefox engines. just little FYI... ;)

Karlos
February 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
I like seamonkey..
I use it for everything but internet banking (my banks website won't play with seamonkey but firefox is fine so I use FF just for that)

Rita
February 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
I use konqueror, although I do like firefox, but have had alot of trouble with it.

aysiu
August 9th, 2007, 05:13 AM
The next poll on this is here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=40611).