PDA

View Full Version : libdvdcss: Which Countries Is It Illegal In?

Mark76
August 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I think a nice list would be good :)

It seems to be illegal in the USA. So that's the first one.

TwistedLincoln
August 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
If anyone can compile such I list, I'd most certainly post it on my site and distribute it. Myths and misconceptions about libdvdcss are pretty widespread...

It's tough to advocate for change in the law when the average person doesn't know the law exists. :P

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Well, libdvdcss has been known to give small children nightmares and drink all the wine in your secret stash.

dragos240
August 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Well, libdvdcss has been known to give small children nightmares and drink all the wine in your secret stash.

:lolflag:

Technoviking
August 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
According to Wikipedia, it has never been legally challenged, so that take with a grain of salt.

T-V

Bigtime_Scrub
August 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM
The first rule of libdvdcss is you do not talk about libdvdcss.

It would be pretty sad to see federal-ees knocking down my door because I am watching DVD movies on my computer without my papers.

SunnyRabbiera
August 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I say screw it, I bought this computer with the DVD player and I intend to use it no matter what OS I am on.

calrogman
August 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM
The first rule of libdvdcss is you do not talk about libdvdcss.]

The second rule of libdvdcss is you do NOT talk about libdvdcss.

Skripka
August 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I say screw it, I bought this computer with the DVD player and I intend to use it no matter what OS I am on.

I like how you think.

RiceMonster
August 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM

I agree.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
We assume it violates USA DMCA law. But libdvdcss hasn't been declared illegal anywhere.

starcraft.man
August 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Practically speaking, I think I've gone through enough Windows licenses that I think I'm set for life for paying for dvd and multimedia playback codecs.

While libdvdcss hasn't been declared illegal yet it seems, I don't hold my breath. RIAA is stupid enough to think suing teens and grandmas is gonna increase their revenue. The movie industry is equally stupid enough to shoot themselves in their own foot.

samjh
August 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
libdvdcss is illegal in any jurisdiction which has implemented laws to prevent reverse-engineering or circumvention of copyright protection mechanisms.

The USA is an obvious example, with its DCMA.

The European Union Copyright Directive also places similar restrictions against circumvention of copyright protection mechanisms. Unfortunately, the EUCD is even more restrictive than the DCMA when it comes to protecting anti-copyright methods (DCMA protects access control, while the EUCD protects both access control and copy protection). The EUCD has been implemented in all EU countries, except Spain, so libdvdcss is illegal in those member states.

Having said that, libdvdcss has not been challenged in an apex court yet.

Tamalin
August 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I do not care if it is illegal in the USA. I fail to see what is illegal about watching DVDs that I paid for. I am not pirating DVDs.

Viva
August 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM
You can buy Fluendo media player for legal playback, no?

Frak
August 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
You can buy Fluendo media player for legal playback, no?
Yes, you can. But the idea is that "I paid for the drive; I paid for the DVD; This drive and this disc are going to get along or I'm just going to have to coerce a relationship in here somewhere".

gletob
August 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I think companies and orginization that want to make money are fine, BUT a line must be drawn somewhere between need and greed. Also I agree with the "I bought this DVD drive and this DVD and expect them to work together."

doorknob60
August 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM

This :popcorn:

My drive was $22 for god's sake, I'm not gonna double the cost of it just for a codec...

Dr. C
August 18th, 2009, 05:49 AM
It is legal in Canada but we have to fight to keep it that way, and this is a very critical time. There is currently a copyright consultation for Canadians to tell our government our views on copyright law.
http://copyright.econsultation.ca/