PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome not working?

Poincare101
August 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've installed ubuntu 9.04 on my dell inspiron 1100 (old).
I have already loaded a bunch of software, updated everything. I shut it down a little while ago. But, now, whenever I try to load ubuntu (this issue comes after grub). It gives the little sound (drums) that comes before login, but the screen goes blank. I've tried Alt+f1 and that doesn't work either.

BslBryan
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Have you tried blindly logging in?

rocknrolf77
August 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Start recovery mode in grub and then choose try to fix the xserver or something like that.

What kind of graphics-card do you have?

Poincare101
August 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Have you tried blindly logging in?

I blindly logged in, and it loaded, then I did
Ctrl+Alt+F1. It gave me a console, then I did

Ctrl+Alt+F7 and it worked.

But, why do I have to do this? How can I fix it?

EDIT: Also, it only works in old kernel. In the new kernel, even the login sounds don't occur..

Poincare101
August 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
anyone?

BslBryan
August 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Wow, this is really puzzling.

The first thing I would do if I was in your position would be to enter the GRUB menu (press Esc) as it boots up, and select the newest kernel that is followed by "recovery mode." Once there, navigate to "xfix." This process should be done in a very short time. (So short that you might not think that it actually worked! :-P)

From there, resume normal boot.

I've got another idea or two, but let's see if this works first. :)

Poincare101
August 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
yay!

That seems to have fixed it :)

But, why did that happen in the first place? Should I report this to canonical or the members of kernel.org ?

BslBryan
August 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Good.

Your graphics card's driver probably just had different settings that no longer applied to the updated kernel. It should be fixed now. :-)