PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Temperature for installation of Ubuntu

zenlunatics
August 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I recently tried to install ubuntu, as well as xubuntu on my aunt's computer.

I managed to delete windows, but ubuntu doesn't fully install I get the message:

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

I've ruled out the cd being the problem, and Im going to try a usb install to rule out a cd/dvd reader problem. It is really hot right now, maybe 90 degrees, would this be enough to make the installation fail?

presence1960
August 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207755&page=2

see post #20

zenlunatics
August 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I just followed the advice, and could not get the command to work I get the message " command not found" .

presence1960
August 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

My bad, I forgot they spelled ubiquity incorrectly.

If that does not work try
sudo ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

zenlunatics
August 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Oops, I scewed up too. That error message I pasted from the internet I thought it was the error I'm getting but it actually isn't. Here it is:

The following file did not match its source copy on the CD/DVD:

/target/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget/dvb-ttusb-budget.ko

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVd disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean...
( the rest is the same message as before)

Thank you for any assistance