PDA

View Full Version : Any Linux Magazine Readers?

kewl1uk
February 1st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Just wondering any anyone else has installed Ubuntu from the DVD with Linux Magazine? Or am I the only one?

TechSonic
February 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
I've never tried a Magazine subscription. I would say I want to try it, but then again.... I like to review and make my own opinions on things.

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM
I have the DVD but have never used it, on account of me already having a fully installed Kubuntu system. Never know when it will come in handy, though.

I have 2 magazine subs.
1 to Linux Format, imho, the best magazine when it comes to Linux.
and 1 to Linux Magazine, but I don't think I will renew it. Sometimes the quality of the articles is plain useless. And very thin, too. However, the DVD included is always good.

I also get PC Plus on a regular basis from my newsagent, not through a subscription. I like it too, but I wish that it would feature more about Linux. ATM, Linux content on it is about 1% of the mag, which is just plain wrong. However, their habit of almost always including a distro keeps me happy. And I like keeping up with the news.

stimpack
February 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM
Only get Linux Format and the DVD goes straight to some land-fill site.

somuchfortheafter
February 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
personally linux journal is the most technical publication I have found...

briancurtin
February 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM
i had one of those trial subscriptions for 3 months (just got my last issue yesterday) and the DVD is for an "extreme gaming" distro, which is probably going in the garbage

i was looking forward to a distro i hadnt already had, or even tried. the first month i got SuSE 10.0 - but i have both 9.3 and 10.0 box sets up on my shelf. then i get ubuntu, of which i already have installed and just prior to getting the linux magazine DVD version, i got all of my CDs from ShipIt, so i was covered there. then i end the subscription with this ****** game distro.

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
i had one of those trial subscriptions for 3 months (just got my last issue yesterday) and the DVD is for an "extreme gaming" distro, which is probably going in the garbage

i was looking forward to a distro i hadnt already had, or even tried. the first month i got SuSE 10.0 - but i have both 9.3 and 10.0 box sets up on my shelf. then i get ubuntu, of which i already have installed and just prior to getting the linux magazine DVD version, i got all of my CDs from ShipIt, so i was covered there. then i end the subscription with this ****** game distro.

Occassionally they do package good distros, but if you have broadband, then you don't need this magazine. My issue is with the articles. The latest issue you mentioned bored me to death.

briancurtin
February 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
yeah i have broadband so i can download whatever i want, it was just weird that i got DVDs of distros i had just recently installed. bad timing

ive flipped through the first few pages of this new issue, havent gotten to the bigger articles. thanks for the heads up that its boring.

Lord Illidan
February 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
yeah i have broadband so i can download whatever i want, it was just weird that i got DVDs of distros i had just recently installed. bad timing

ive flipped through the first few pages of this new issue, havent gotten to the bigger articles. thanks for the heads up that its boring.

Actually, it is more that it seems to be more intended for programmers. If you are one, than this will interest you. However, reviews of niche software like the Wmii windowmanager or Irssi really get me winded. And what you are mentioning is true. After 3 days of painfully downloading SUSE DVD, I recieved it in the mail with Linux Format... I could have shot myself for not waiting. And I still switched back to Ubuntu...

kewl1uk
February 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM

I actually installed it but on a different computer - there's no way I'm getting rid of Ubuntu. It's basically LinEx which is sponsored by the government of Extremadura - an autonomous province in Spain - with 150 games added. The desktop was a sight to behold which appears to be a mix of Gnome and KDE with game drop-down menus in the top bar and the KDE bar at the bottom. Looked ok but the desktop was crammed with icons. A surprise was that Java, Flash, Codecs and Firestarter was included and also updated. Doesn't appear to be an automatic update. I accessed the update from the Linex menu which then disappeared after I updated. I uninstalled it because it didn't detect my floppy and I couldn't find any means of configuring hardware on the desktop and I didn't have the inclination to start messing with fstab. It will install alongside Windows on the same disk but doesn't automatically resize the windows partition but includes a partitioning tool. Has both the Anaconda installer and a text installer. I chose the Anaconda.

Getting back to Linux magazine I think I might unsubscribe although I like the articles. The DVD becomes somewhat redundant when you're sticking with a distro, containing as it does Linux OSs.

The iso images for JuegaLinEx are at http://juegalinex.linex.org/

Master Shake
February 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
I've picked up a copy of Linux journal here and there, but its WAY too technical for me.

I subscribe to the free TUX magazine, and its WAY too KDE biased for me.

matthew
February 4th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Just wondering any anyone else has installed Ubuntu from the DVD with Linux Magazine? Or am I the only one?The first time I installed Linux it was from a cd in Linux Magazine--which I bought from the newsstand. That was version 5.04 the month it came out. I immediately signed up in these forums and haven't looked back.

I like Linux Format better as a magazine, but I subscribed to Linux Journal. Much of it is still over my head, but that's how I learn. :) Still read the others at the newsstand and occasionally buy a copy.

johnyz
February 4th, 2006, 03:12 AM
:) First post here, I only ever once bought Linux-Format and that was when it had the Mandrake LM cd's on the front and never used them......