PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] joeandmarg

joeandmarg
August 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM
This is my first attempt with Ubuntu 9.04 and Linux in general.I have installed 9.04,using Sun Virtual Box and keeping Windows XP Pro SP3 as the Host.Everything EXCEPT the printer works fine.It is more than likely fihger trouble on my part.Can anyone offer any solutions as to what is preventing the printer{ Canon MP170}from being recognised.
Thanks,
joeandmarg

earthpigg
August 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
how is your printer plugged in? usb, serial, etc?

does the version of vbox for windows you are using support that port (usb, serial, etc)?

joeandmarg
August 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your reply.
It is USB and as far as I can ascertain,the Vbox does support it.I will give the uninsstall/reinstall a try and see what happens.

earthpigg
August 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
the open source edition of VirtualBox does not support USB, so ill assume you are using the version from sun's website.

have you installed the guest additions in the guest machine?

joeandmarg
August 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thank's for your answer.The VBox was taken from the SUN website and no, I have not installed any additions,just the distro as posted for download.
Is there a particular addition for Printers?

earthpigg
August 21st, 2009, 12:43 AM
im pretty sure guest additions provides the general framework required for a whole bunch of mojo, including host USB support.

joeandmarg
August 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
thanks for your advice,I'll search through all the relevent literature and see what's available.I'm going to burn the ISO to CD and try booting from that,it may make a difference or maybe not.