PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System Stuck?

cat2005
August 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I was in synaptic downloading / installing KDE (needed it for k3b) and left. When I came back, my screen saver was running. I moved the mouse to make the screen saver disappear and the password prompt appear. The moving screen saver moved just a little more, then froze.

I can't get into that computer. If I physically restart it, could I cause damage / file loss / etc?

Other than physically restarting, do I have any options?

marshmallow1304
August 17th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Ctrl+Alt+F1

If this works, you should see a prompt on a black screen. Login using your regular login/password, then type:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
Enter password again.

jakupl
August 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM
first try to press ctrl + alt + f2, if it works than you can login on the command line and write
sudo shutdown -P now

If this does not work, try to hold Alt + Sys Rq and while holding these buttons, press R E I S U B with like 5 seconds between each. if the computer does not reboot, then do a hard reboot.

It can do bad stuff, but we will figure that out when your computer is back on.

colau
August 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
first try to press ctrl + alt + f2, if it works than you can login on the command line and write
sudo shutdown -P now

If this does not work, try to hold Alt + Sys Rq and while holding these buttons, press R E I S U B with like 5 seconds between each. if the computer does not reboot, then do a hard reboot.

It can do bad stuff, but we will figure that out when your computer is back on.
R E I S U B are similar to r e i s u b ?

jakupl
August 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
R E I S U B are similar to r e i s u b ?

yes.

cat2005
August 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I tried the following:

1) ctl + alt + del (no result)
2) ctl + alt + bkspace (no result)
3) alt + sysrq (prtscrn) + k (worked)

If anyone else runs into this problem, then give these a try. I got them here (which lists more stuff):

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=19672