PDA

View Full Version : Free Geek Columbus to distribute 25 Ubuntu PC's at Ohio LinuxFest 2009

Warren Watts
August 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
At the Ohio LinuxFest 2009 (http://www.ohiolinux.org/linuxbasics.html) Conference, Free Geek Columbus will be offering a $250 eight hour Linux Basics class. At the end of the class, the students get to take the computer home!

The class will teach everything from installing Linux itself (Ubuntu 9.04) to basic system administration, installing printers, and connecting to the internet.

The computers being provided will have at least a 1.5GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and 15GB HDD, and a 17" monitor is included as well.

What a great opportunity for beginners to be able to not only get a firm introduction to Linux but also get the computer that they installed the Operating System on themselves.

Click here for all the details! (http://www.ohiolinux.org/linuxbasics.html)

Jestersage
August 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Nice! Wish you guys luck!

BTW, What kind of computer hardwares do you guys usually receive?

Warren Watts
August 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
BTW, What kind of computer hardwares do you guys usually receive?

I am not personally associated with the Free Geek Columbus organization. I am just planning on attending the conference again this year (it will be the third year in a row).

I was on the OLF site getting all the latest info and there was a post there about the training class. I thought it was kinda nifty that they were offering not only the computer, but also eight hours of education about Linux and Ubuntu, including the installation process.

JT9161
August 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM
What kind of computer hardwares do you guys usually receive?

I'm a Free Geek Portland volunteer and if F.G. Columbus is of any similarity its very much a little bit of everything, in my experience I've seen mostly 1990s to present day desktops and laptops.

Jestersage
August 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Interesting. I am a FG Vancouver Volunteer, and for some reason we seems to have receive more stuff in the 3.0 Ghz range (if it passes Eval. Those that does not pass can be ANYTHING including PCI-E w/ Blown caps). Also, the geekbox here is 2.0Gz/512mb/40Gb (or equivalent)

macogw
August 17th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Interesting. I am a FG Vancouver Volunteer, and for some reason we seems to have receive more stuff in the 3.0 Ghz range (if it passes Eval. Those that does not pass can be ANYTHING including PCI-E w/ Blown caps). Also, the geekbox here is 2.0Gz/512mb/40Gb (or equivalent)

3ghz? sounds like a 6 or 7 year old celeron