PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop screen will no longer work

ftwfloggin
August 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I just recently installed ubuntu on my HP Pavillion dv8000. The screen is broken so I run a VGA chord to my 26 in. t.v.. First I wanna say that when I installed ubuntu the desktop was not centered on the screen and part of the right side was off of the screen and i couldn't see it, I could not figure out how to get it center. It took a little messing around and I figured out how to turn my monitor screen off so I didn't have to see a bright light from the broken screen. Yesterday I unplugged the computer to move it and such, andwhen I say unplugged I took out the power chord, the vga, stereo and mouse from usb. ANYWAYS, now when I boot up the laptop it beeps about 3 or 4 times, and nothing shows up on my screen. How do I fix this because I can not see on the laptop screen either.

oboedad55
August 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I just recently installed ubuntu on my HP Pavillion dv8000. The screen is broken so I run a VGA chord to my 26 in. t.v.. First I wanna say that when I installed ubuntu the desktop was not centered on the screen and part of the right side was off of the screen and i couldn't see it, I could not figure out how to get it center. It took a little messing around and I figured out how to turn my monitor screen off so I didn't have to see a bright light from the broken screen. Yesterday I unplugged the computer to move it and such, andwhen I say unplugged I took out the power chord, the vga, stereo and mouse from usb. ANYWAYS, now when I boot up the laptop it beeps about 3 or 4 times, and nothing shows up on my screen. How do I fix this because I can not see on the laptop screen either.

It sounds like a video card/cord problem, Try this site for PC beeps:
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml. There are a bunch of these sites out there. Just fire up Google like I did, and type in "pc beeps".

Jon

ftwfloggin
August 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I tried it again and its giving me the beep patter 1-3-4-3 and i looked it up and it says "Test 512K base memory". Any inkling on what that tells me?