PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CDT Problem: "Program not specified"

RolandFlagg
August 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I just installed eclipse and am trying to use the cdt extension to program in c++. I have g++ installed, but whenever I try to run anything, at the run box it says "Program not specified" and I can't run it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can+~
August 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Compile it (click the hammer) and then go back to that menu and use "Search Project" and select the executable.

Also, I recommend you to install the Eclipse of the website, as the one on the repository is pretty old.

Oh, and if you're on Galileo, you just need to compile and running it is just clicking the run button.

RolandFlagg
August 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks so much, but I dont see a hammer anywhere, so I'm assuming that the hammer's only on the newer version of eclipse? I tried looking for "compile" under "project" but it's not there. So now I'm downloading the new eclipse. Why doesn't eclipse just like... compile automatically?

RolandFlagg
August 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Also, the eclipse from the website is a tar file, which I dont know how to install...

colau
August 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I just installed eclipse and am trying to use the cdt extension to program in c++. I have g++ installed, but whenever I try to run anything, at the run box it says "Program not specified" and I can't run it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The eclipse in the ubuntu repository is very older.
Eclipse-CDT is comparatively older.
Downloading from the eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/galileo/R/eclipse-cpp-galileo-linux-gtk.tar.gz) site would be better.

colau
August 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Also, the eclipse from the website is a tar file, which I dont know how to install...
Extract the .tar.gz file with archive manager.(right click the file)
Or

tar vzxf <filename>.tar.gz
cd eclipse
./eclipse

Can+~
August 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM

There's nothing special to it, just open the .tar.gz, throw it on a folder and run "eclipse".

In older versions of eclipse-cdt it would automatically compile when saving.

lboliveira
September 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi there!

Same problem here. I click "Search Project..." and I olny see the 32bit binaries, the 64bit exists but the eclipse can't find them.

Can somebody help me?

jakehockey10
March 8th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I am having the same issue as presented at the beginning of this thread, but unfortunately all the suggested fixes are not working for me. I have tried building my project which does not seem to work. When I try to make a run configuration, I can select my project, but when I want to select a C/C++ Application by searching the project, no binaries are listed. Up at the top of the window, the message, "Program not specified" is displayed. Can someone help me?

SantoshLinux
November 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I am having the same issue as presented at the beginning of this thread, but unfortunately all the suggested fixes are not working for me. I have tried building my project which does not seem to work. When I try to make a run configuration, I can select my project, but when I want to select a C/C++ Application by searching the project, no binaries are listed. Up at the top of the window, the message, "Program not specified" is displayed. Can someone help me?

Hi
I too had this problem, it was due to the g++ program missing from the system, hence eclipse could not generate any binaries.

Go to System --> Administration --> "Synaptic Package Manager" --> "search for g++ and install it"

Build your program again in eclipse and happy debugging :)