PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I adjust the screen brightness increments?

asuastrophysics
August 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
hi all,

i was just wondering if it was possible to adjust the size of the brightness increments for my laptop's screen. it only has 3 levels of brightness.

i edited something in gconf-editor that changed the size of the volume increment. is this something i can edit in gconf-editor as well?

thanks!

asuastrophysics
August 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
no one knows???? what i mean is, when i hit the fn key + brightness up, it only gets 3 increments brighter. when i hit fn key + bright down, i only get 3 increments dimmer

is there any way to make more increments?

aspergerian
December 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
My Acer 1410 runs 9.10 64 bit. However, via function keys, the increments for screen brightness are too large. Searching synaptic package manager for brightness brings forth a number of packages that may be relevant - eg nvidia-settings, smartdimmer - but I don't know (for instance) how to determine if either is appropriate for my 1410. Meanwhile, the brightness can usually be set to just a little too dim or a little too bright, and I'd like to fix that.

mgmiller
December 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
have you tried adding the "Brightness Applet" to the top panel? It gives you a slider for the screen brightness.

Just right click a blank area of the top panel and select, "Add to Panel" The Brightness Applet is one of the first ones listed.

aspergerian
December 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
have you tried adding the "Brightness Applet" to the top panel? It gives you a slider for the screen brightness.

Just right click a blank area of the top panel and select, "Add to Panel" The Brightness Applet is one of the first ones listed.

Brightness Applet seems to be a workable solution. Thank you!

sunbird
February 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Isn't there some way to fix this issue? I looked around in gconf-editor but couldn't find anything obvious. The keys used to work fine, but now the increment is so slow that they are essentially worthless. I'd rather not use the brightness applet...

kswenson
November 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm having this problem too...
anyone have any ideas?

sevenearths
May 28th, 2012, 09:49 PM
This is stupid!!! There should be a simple solution for this.

No one wants a workaround otherwise they just go back to their old OS's

Iowan
May 28th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Closed - from Code of Conduct:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.