PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu replaced vista bootloader

SGT Awesomesauce
August 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
HI,
so yesterday i installed ubuntu 9.04 x64 on my computer and it works fine. but for some reason it replaced the bootloader for my vista hard drive. I have nearly 700 gb of data on that hard drive so reformatting is not an option. I need to know how to get it to boot to windows without using the windows bootloader. I already tried to use the windows system recovery and it just sat there detecting drives for like an hour.

mhgsys
August 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
You should edit your grub menu.lst
And add the lines to boot vista.

first; open up a terminal and typ

sudo fdisk -l

This will give you a list of the partitions on your disks
Look for HPFS/NTFS, this is your windows partition.

f.e /dev/sda1 * 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Now you now where your windows is located, and we'll use that information to edit the grub menu.

EDIT THE GRUB MENU

in terminal typ:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll all the way down to ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

and add;

title Microsoft Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Save the file!
Reboot,
Option should be there and windows should be bootable

This example will work if windows is located on (hd0,0) (first partition on hda)

If it does not work for you post the outcome of sudo fdisk -l and we'll be able to help you.

SGT Awesomesauce
August 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
ok i made the changes and now im just waiting for some updates to be finished ill update if it works

presence1960
August 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM
it looks like you have more than one hard disk with windows and Ubuntu on separate disks, at least that is what I get from the original post. If that is true and the previous suggestion does not get Vista booting do this:

Boot into Ubuntu. Download from my signature line the Boot Info Script to your desktop. Once on the desktop open a terminal and run this command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted here highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

This info will show us your setup & boot process. We then should be able to get Vista booting.