PDA

View Full Version : Kopete doesn't work! Should I try Ubuntu?

SeePU
August 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I use Kubuntu and was wondering a few things:

1. Has anyone tried Kubuntu?

2. Has anyone tried a KDE distro? Have you tried KDE 4?

3. Should I consider switching to Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu?

I use the messenger, Kopete, to communicate with some people including relatives. But, now, with the most recent KDE 4, it doesn't work. I cannot 'get online' even though my status shows me as online. Also, I cannot send an im to anyone and they are shown as being 'offline' even though I know they aren't.

I checked the KDE forums and other Kopete users are saying they can't use Kopete (the yahoo simulation part, especially).

Other KDE changes or developements have annoyed me, too, but the straw breaking the camel's back has been this Kopete thing. I know, I know, you think it's just one program and should be trivial but it just seems KDE developers are mostly concentrating on other things trying to make their desktop look 'pretty.'

I didn't like Gnome when I first tried it but you never know, it might be one of those things in which you choose the lesser of two evils.

I guess I could install Ubuntu and then install the two desktops and use whatever one I choose to log in to? But, what does Ubuntu use as an instant messenger?

stimpack
August 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Pigeon?, whatever it is, it will also run in Kubuntu. Sure try Ubuntu, its a free world, it costs little effort to put it in a VM like virtual box to give it a spin. Google the philosophies behind Gnome and KDE, don't read these boards they are nasty and partisan.

Chame_Wizard
August 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I use Kubuntu and was wondering a few things:

1. Has anyone tried Kubuntu?

2. Has anyone tried a KDE distro? Have you tried KDE 4?

3. Should I consider switching to Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu?

I use the messenger, Kopete, to communicate with some people including relatives. But, now, with the most recent KDE 4, it doesn't work. I cannot 'get online' even though my status shows me as online. Also, I cannot send an im to anyone and they are shown as being 'offline' even though I know they aren't.

I checked the KDE forums and other Kopete users are saying they can't use Kopete (the yahoo simulation part, especially).

Other KDE changes or developements have annoyed me, too, but the straw breaking the camel's back has been this Kopete thing. I know, I know, you think it's just one program and should be trivial but it just seems KDE developers are mostly concentrating on other things trying to make their desktop look 'pretty.'

I didn't like Gnome when I first tried it but you never know, it might be one of those things in which you choose the lesser of two evils.

I guess I could install Ubuntu and then install the two desktops and use whatever one I choose to log in to? But, what does Ubuntu use as an instant messenger?

1.I am a user for 27 months now.
2.See above,I using KDE 4.2.2 atm.
3.Yes,you can always use KDE as DE.
:lolflag:

drawkcab
August 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
pidgin should work in kubuntu too, install it and try it out

Ms_Angel_D
August 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I wonder what could be causing your Kopete Problems, as I'm using Kopete just fine. It's very strange indeed....

rajcan
August 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Pidgin will work on KDE. I used it when I had kubuntu on my computer. I switched to ubuntu though after I wrecked my installation.

koleoptero
August 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I had the same problem with kopete in kubuntu 9.04. There are other messengers though, you can give them a try. A messenger isn't a reason to switch your entire DE.

juancarlospaco
August 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
...but if you want to try Ubuntu, just try it
:)

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Really it's all about taste. I personally hate KDE, but I have heard people who say they love it. It may also depend on the computer you're using, I couldn't get wireless conectivity while running KDE 4. Ive heard wierd glitches like this exist, but it may just be my hardware.