PDA

View Full Version : iTunes works in Wine now, mostly!

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yup, it's official, iTunes 8.0 works, with a silver rating, in the latest Wine. I've tried it, and it only suffers from some graphical problems occasionally, a bit of a slowdown, and the inability to recognize my iPhone.

Has anyone else tried it?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14793&iTestingId=43520

.Maleficus.
August 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
the inability to recognize my iPhone.
Then it is still of no use to me :(.

Frak
August 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'll be happy when they get full Zune support going, which I really can't see why it's taking so long (especially since MTP is open source anyhow, and it can't be that hard to find the secret handshake).

mamamia88
August 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yup, it's official, iTunes 8.0 works, with a silver rating, in the latest Wine. I've tried it, and it only suffers from some graphical problems occasionally, a bit of a slowdown, and the inability to recognize my iPhone.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14793&iTestingId=43520

no but i will now

mrgnash
August 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Big deal. Whatever progress is made in getting Apple's crapware to work through Wine will be quickly dissolved after the next 50 updates that arrive tomorrow. Not only that, but it's one of the most bloated, poorly designed, pieces of rubbish that has ever been coded.

praveesh
August 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It's great that the wine is improving.I don't believe in the gold/silver ratings of the wine apps. The isobuster is of golden rating, yet it has some graphics problem.

Muppeteer
August 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Who would want to use iTunes anyway? Even in windows or OSx? :confused:

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Who would want to use iTunes anyway? Even in windows or OSx? :confused:
A person with an iPhone or iPod touch so they can sync their music.

ZankerH
August 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
So, seeing as how it still won't sync with apple's devices, what's the point?

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Right now, there is no point unless you buy music off of the apple store. However, this shows that wine is coming closer and closer to full compatibility (though, obviously, it has a far way to go).

rudihawk
August 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
So, seeing as how it still won't sync with apple's devices, what's the point?

Sheesh, dude you have to walk before you can run...

Things take time, you can't go from zero to hero in a heartbeat.

mamamia88
August 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
works great than you so much one less reason to use windows. i don't have an ipod but this will at least give me a legal way to get missed tv shows without torrents

speedwell68
August 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Why anybody what want to sully a computer with crap like iTunes is beyond me.

rajcan
August 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM

So that those of us with iPods and iTunes giftcards can use them. Fortunately I've got an XP virtual machine so I can sync my iPod regardless of whether iTunes works in wine or not.

rudihawk
August 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM

People who can't get their linux apps to sync with their ipod properly without messing either the ipod up(like me). Its one of the reaons I keep my XP partition handy...mostly so I can sync my ipod.

speedwell68
August 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
People who can't get their linux apps to sync with their ipod properly without messing either the ipod up(like me). Its one of the reaons I keep my XP partition handy...mostly so I can sync my ipod.

Which iPod do you have? I use Songbird with the iPod and Mediaflow addons and it syncs with my iPod Shuffle perfectly. I believe it'll sync with every model of the iPod except the Touch.

sideaway
August 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I have an iPod Classic, I bought it about 9 months ago. I don't use it. I use my Toshiba Gigabeat that's over 3 years old. 80gb vs 60gb - I'd like the extra 20gb but not necessary, iPod OS vs Rockbox... Rockbox wins. By a mile. I don't know why I keep my iPod around. I should sell it before a new generation comes out.

I also don't like using iTunes.

jersoncito
August 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Not only that, but it's one of the most bloated, poorly designed, pieces of rubbish that has ever been coded.

I can't believe there is not a simple way to re-scan the library. iTunes sucks.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I'm personally holding out for Amarok to support devices again.

ZankerH
August 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Let's see

-itunes in wine only supports older ipods
-Older iPods can run Rockbox and ipodLinux, neither of which requires itunes, and both of which support Free audio formats and have more features than the default firmware
-Songs purchased on the itunes store can only be played through itunes and ipods and can't be converted into an open format
-Therefore, running itunes in Wine is pointless

Do I have that right?

rudihawk
August 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Which iPod do you have? I use Songbird with the iPod and Mediaflow addons and it syncs with my iPod Shuffle perfectly. I believe it'll sync with every model of the iPod except the Touch.

ipod Classic.

I dunno, I'll check it out again, I last tried a year or two ago.

koshatnik
August 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Why on Earth would anyone want to use itunes? It doesnt even synch folders or update filenames/paths automatically, which makes it utterly useless as a media player.

Frak
August 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
-Songs purchased on the itunes store can only be played through itunes and ipods and can't be converted into an open format
Do I have that right?

Nearly all the songs in the iTunes store are basic MP3 with no copy protection. By nearly, I mean about 96% of them.

Jimleko211
August 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Nearly all the songs in the iTunes store are basic MP3 with no copy protection. By nearly, I mean about 96% of them.

Except that all of the ones you buy off of it are .m4a format >.>

But yeah, all the songs in the iTunes store are DRM free now.

Frak
August 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Except that all of the ones you buy off of it are .m4a format >.>

But yeah, all the songs in the iTunes store are DRM free now.
MP4, sorry, typo.

Technoviking
August 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Sound like iTunes 9.0 is coming out RSN :).

T-V

blackmail
August 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
My friend, I don't have no IPhone, but one thing I can tell you, I am using Jaunty Jackalope, and it workd fine with such hardware, a friend of mine came to me and he wanted to change some data on his IPhone, it worked seemlesly, he just pluged it in and it was recognised, as a hard disk I might say, but if you want to change your songs on it banshee, or rhythmbox are fine! At least that is my experience.

Methuselah
August 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Lock-in is something you buy into once you decide to support these apple services.
So even if the client works on linux but you're still restricted by the very nature of this apple service.
It's a sugar pill.

I'm glad to see wine is progressing though.
There are still speciality applications in some fields with no linux equivalent.

hanzomon4
August 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Why on Earth would anyone want to use itunes? It doesnt even synch folders or update filenames/paths automatically, which makes it utterly useless as a media player.

Phrases most likely to show up in Apple threads #3462: Utterly useless

hoppipolla
August 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cool I was waiting for this :)

I was tempted to just use 7digital instead though.

EDIT -- And wahey Spotify works too doesn't it? Now THAT'S cool! hehe :)