PDA

View Full Version : What more do you want in ubuntu?

konqui
August 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Post your unofficial wish-list!

Joeb454
August 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Moved to the Cafe ;)

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
The only thing I want from Ubuntu is an option to use it as a rolling release distro. Like, have an option (enabled by default) that says to keep the repos frozen, like the are now, and another option that allows you to always have the latest and greatest software.

SuperSonic4
August 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I want less in ubuntu not more.

Although the following would be nice

pacman
Rolling release
More bleeding edge

.Maleficus.
August 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM

pacman
Rolling release
More bleeding edge

This, plus the ability to uninstall anything I choose to without completely breaking the system.

Barrucadu
August 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Metapackages is one of the main reasons I left Ubuntu. Package groups should be used instead.

ZankerH
August 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, what the earlier posters said, have a bleeding-edge option, and make it easier to downgrade/remove stuff without breaking everything.

Also an optional really minimal install CD (and I don't mean the server edition) that only installs the very basics needed for a proper working environment, without X and a thousand useless services, so we can work our way up from there.

For the mainstream release, perhaps a graphical frontend for compiling software from the source code, to make people appreciate the only real universal GNU/Linux packaging system. Also work to reduce the complete and utter reliance on APT and .debs and stop the "if it's not in the repos, it doesn't exist" attitude.

Oh wait, that was my "turn Ubuntu into Arch" list...I guess you should keep the five-click installer and the vomit-stained default theme to set them apart :P

roharme
August 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Might be repetitive but Still i would say

gaming gaming gaming

Whiffle
August 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I think Ubuntu is spiffy as is, and greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers. It does exactly what it was intended for, ease of use.

But, if I had to request something, it would be to make Ubuntu Netbook Remix work on something other than an Atom, such as a Pentium-M. I think this would be very useful for aging notebooks.

bluelamp999
August 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM
What I'd dearly love is for the open source ATI drivers to offer decent 3D capability for 'older' cards.

Other than that, I'm a very happy bunny...

magnus0
August 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
the only thing i want from ubuntu is an option to use it as a rolling release distro. Like, have an option (enabled by default) that says to keep the repos frozen, like the are now, and another option that allows you to always have the latest and greatest software.

+1

Skripka
August 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM

pacman
Rolling release
More bleeding edge

Great minds think alike.

PS-More upstream vanilla, no need for patches.

TheNessus
August 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
An option upon installation to choose which programs and stuff I want or do not want to install. If there's no slim version of Ubuntu, that could at least be a compromise.

Sporkman
August 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I want the truth!!!

mamamia88
August 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
rolling release and something ubuntu can't change but support from certain software companies

TheNessus
August 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I want the truth!!!

You can't handle the truth!

lukjad
August 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
This, plus the ability to uninstall anything I choose to without completely breaking the system.
Hey, I know your type. You wanna uninstall apt, dpkg and Synaptic, right? ;)

speedwell68
August 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'd like a GUI Spotify player.:D I have very simple tastes.

Bodsda
August 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM

More bleeding edge

As soon as you add more bleeding edge, people will add 'stability' to their lists.

Barrucadu
August 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
As soon as you add more bleeding edge, people will add 'stability' to their lists.

Why can't we have both? Bleeding edge ≠ unstable.

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Why can't we have both? Bleeding edge ≠ unstable.

Indeed. Grab the latest stable package, doesn't necessarily have to be unstable. For example, pidgin. The on in Jaunty is 9.5.5. The latest one is 9.5.8, which fixes a yahoo bug that users were having. 9.5.8 is great, completely stable. But because the repos are frozen you can't have it easily under Ubuntu.

Harper45
August 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I think this Ubuntu is spiffy as is, and greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers. It does exactly what it was intended for, ease of use........

Sporkman
August 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
You can't handle the truth!

Well done. :D

Sporkman
August 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
i think this ubuntu is spiffy as is, and greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers. It does exactly what it was intended for, ease of use........

+1!

Whiffle
August 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I think Ubuntu is spiffy as is, and greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers. It does exactly what it was intended for, ease of use.

I think this Ubuntu is spiffy as is, and greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers. It does exactly what it was intended for, ease of use........

Is there an echo in here? \\:D/

Paqman
August 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Smooth video and Flash, a 5 second boot, and bug-free ACPI support on all mobos.

Macchi
August 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
One of my dreams as an IT manager would be to see a branch of Ubuntu GNU/Linux as the number one choice for business desktops integrated with a small group server. Furthermore I also would like to have everything working out of the box.

This is certainly difficult to harmonize with trends for bleeding edge, emphasis on gaming, entertainment, and hobby experimentation on the command line. A good distro for business enterprises needs a rock solid stability, stronger long term support, and by the way no games installed by default. But of course I am aware that it is impossible to be everything for everyone on the market.