PDA

View Full Version : [other] Isolator for Linux Desktops?

teledyn
August 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
This looks pretty cool and might even be relatively easy to do: Isolator (http://willmore.eu/software/isolator/) is a window-manager hack that greys and blurs the entire desktop leaving only the focal window vividly visible. There's likely more to it than this, but it does look like it could be very useful for reducing eye-strain from piled up virtual desktop clutter.

The original is written for Mac, but likely not any sort of shared code license, don't really know. It does seem thought that it might be something feasibly implemented in Gnome or Mac.

coldReactive
August 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
If you haven't done this already, get compiz.

Turn on ADD Helper within CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM in add/remove) and toggle it with Windows Key + P

teledyn
August 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
thanks for the tip (I sort of guessed Linux would have this); I turned it on in the config, but I'm not noticing any difference. I even turned on the "Extra Effects" but no noticeable change. I have a Radeon chipset that is stuck in 8.04 due to the ATI driver, so could it be something that's just technically beyond my reach?

mcduck
August 16th, 2009, 05:20 PM
You need to toggle it on by pressing Super+P.

Also the default configuration only dims normal application windows, if you want to dim the whole desktop change the "Window Types" to "any".