PDA

View Full Version : Good portable media player?

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
You guys know any good pmp's for anime? I been lookin' 'round for a good pmp and after days of research narrowed it down to these [link below]. I don't care about anything besides video. I need something with mkv support, ssa/as(s) support, h264, 800x480, and 16.7m colors. Money is no problem since this is mostly just research and if i get my hands on one a friend will be paying.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/archos-5-vs-archos-605-wifi

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2009/01/cowon-o2-review.php

Katalog
August 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah, as far as PMPs with good video support in Linux your options are pretty limited (seems like mostly Cowon players and few other odd brands). When I saw the topic I was going to suggest the Sansa Fuze, but there isn't any video support for it under Linux, although it's an awesome audio player (supports MP3, Ogg, FLAC, etc.) and is recognized by every music application I've ever used on Ubuntu.

But back on topic, have you checked into the Cowon S9? Don't have one myself, but from what I understand it's kind of like an open source equivalent to the iPod Touch (minus the wireless), but I'm not sure if it plays nice with Ubuntu or not.

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, as far as PMPs with good video support in Linux your options are pretty limited (seems like mostly Cowon players and few other odd brands). When I saw the topic I was going to suggest the Sansa Fuze, but there isn't any video support for it under Linux, although it's an awesome audio player (supports MP3, Ogg, FLAC, etc.) and is recognized by every music application I've ever used on Ubuntu.

But back on topic, have you checked into the Cowon S9? Don't have one myself, but from what I understand it's kind of like an open source equivalent to the iPod Touch (minus the wireless), but I'm not sure if it plays nice with Ubuntu or not.

It's AMOLED which sucks battery life with light backgrounds and 480x272 so no go. If a want a pap i would just keep my fuze or get the sansa clip.

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Just updated the OP to reflect the research i've just done.

mikewhatever
August 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM

What do you mean there is no video support with Sansa Fuse? Can't you simply copy a video file in supported format from a Linux boxand to the player, and play it?

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
What do you mean there is no video support with Sansa Fuse? Can't you simply copy a video file in supported format from a Linux boxand to the player, and play it?

No, you need to use their windows only converter.

gOLdenHaWK3D
August 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM
GP2X Wiz Game System ??? Install any software you like in it. And it's open source!

NCLI
August 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Anything COWON makes is awesome, so go buy that. I'm very satisfied with my S9, though the screen resolution is a bit low, the OLED screen more than makes up for it(and battery life is great).

Warpnow
August 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've never heard of a pmp with 800x480 resolution. What is 800x480? Pal?

I think at that high resolution you'd be looking at more like an MID.

nobodysbusiness
August 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
There's a lot of rumors about the new Nokia internet tablet thingy being released soon. Of course, it would do a lot more than just playing video.

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
GP2X Wiz Game System ??? Install any software you like in it. And it's open source!

It doesn't support mkv and h264 out of the box. Can i load software on it to support them? How does this compare to OpenPandora?

keiichidono
August 17th, 2009, 04:07 AM
[bump]

keiichidono
August 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
[bump] And with more research i'm down to the archos 5 and cowon a3, i just need to know how both of them support h264 mp and 1280x720p content. From reviews the old a3 firmware has spotty h264 mp support but plays mkv. The archos 5 has hd and h264 support (after buying plugins) but no mkv. =\

cprofitt
August 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
iRiver P7 or maybe wait for the Zii Egg?

keiichidono
August 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
With only 256k colors, a 480x270 screen, and no mkv support what-so-ever it wouldn't work out for me at all. Don't know much about the Zii Egg. I was looking for some Chinese PMP's like Archose an RAmos but ultimately decided that a laptop would be better.